Diacetyl from Hazelnut extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman300sd

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of porter and had two 5 gallon fermentors both fermenting with WLP060 at 65 degrees. Kept them both in primary for 4 weeks. End result tasted great. I kegged one with dissolved cocoa powder and coffee that come out excellent. The other I kegged with about 1.2 oz of Hazelnut extract. I had brewed this beer in the past and had used about .9 oz....it came out great, but I wanted a lil more hazelnut flavor. A month in the keg and I cant escape the aroma and taste of buttered popcorn. The slick mouthfeel is there too. I clean every keg thoroughly with PBW and sanitize with starsan so I have to believe sanitation is not an issue (I havent had an infection problem in over 2 years). The beer prior to being kegged had no buttery notes either and I would assume the long time in the primary would have allowed the yeast to eat through any potential diacetyl. So, I have to believe the extract is to blame. The product wasBrewcraft Hazelnut extract in a 2 oz bottle which I have used before with no issues. Production date was August 2014...so it wasnt too old. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? Since tapping 2 weeks ago till now the problem does not seem to be getting worse.

I guess my question at this point is if there is anything I can do to save this beer. Any suggestions before I dump it?

The big thing here is that is that it might not be diacetyl. Lots of things we add to beer taste buttery or butterscotchy (some caramel malts, barrel toast, some hops (I'm looking at you, poorly used Mosaic) so it it might not be diacetyl.

Try blending your original version with the version you dislike and seeing if that tastes ok. If so, maybe brew up a new batch for blending, or yeah, chuck the crummy batch.

Edit: realizing you are aware it's not
Diacetyl. Again, try blending it. Beyond that... I dunno how else it would dissipate, besides maybe sitting on it. Good luck!

Back