Dia duit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcto

Reaction score
Greetings from Ireland!

Found this website while searching for yeast fermentation times.
Looking forward to brewing and posting on this site!

Slán!

Well im hoping that it will be me when i get up the courage to try!! :drunk:

Im more partial to a pint of Murphys myself. Its brewed a few miles from my house in Cork city.

Unfortunately Murphys is very hard to find outside of Cork, never mind over seas!

It has a nice coffee like aftertaste and is less bitter than the more well known Guinness.

If you ever hit our shores make sure you try it!

Welcome! I love a good pint of Murphy's. I find it a bit more floral and estery than the other two big ones (Guinness and Beamish). You're lucky to be so close. What does a pint of it run over there?

It varies abit depending if your in the City or in the middle of no-where (usually the best stout is in the latter).

The cheapest Murphy's pint in Cork ATM is in An Cruiscin Lan where it will only set you back €3, which is about $4.30.

It averages at €4 a pint though.

Beamish is traditionally the cheaper of the 3 "giants".

Can you get Murphys over where you are? How much does it set you back? Wheres NC? North Carolina?

North Carolina, yep. It's pretty easy to find it in the widget cans around here but isn't served much in the pubs or restaurants. The cans are about $8 a four pack, which isn't too bad I guess compared to what you pay, but more expensive than most cans around here. It's worth it though!:D

Well im hoping that it will be me when i get up the courage to try!! :drunk:

Im more partial to a pint of Murphys myself. Its brewed a few miles from my house in Cork city.
Dia dhuit yerself, ye fellow langer! Conas atá tú? Go maith?

There is no better stout than Murphs, and by God I miss skulling pint after pint of it with the lads in town of a weekend.

We have Murphy's and Beamish here. Both in nitro cans and beamish is on tap here and there.

Ta me go maith!
You emigrate lad? Where abouts too? Could you recommend a brew kit? Im thinking of starting a second batch in a few weeks.

Ended up one afternoon in the Oval on Tucky street awhile back for a quiet pint, turned out they were having a Murphys promotion. 5 of the finest for free!

Z987k: I find that quiet funny that ye have Beamish on tap seeing as its even rarer than Murphys outside of cork! And you havnt had a real murphs till you have it in a Cork "old man" pub ;-D

I did, yeah. Born and raised in de northside, moved to the land of milk and honey back in 96 before the Celtic Tiger was even a kitten. Living in California now, JUST getting into home brewing, so I'm feck all help to ye!

The Oval? Aww, that takes me back! We used to have a few in there before heading to Henry's, back in the day. I'd almost have flown over for five free pints! (First thing I do anytime I go home is a pint at the Huntsman out in Tower, since the buddy I stay with is around the corner from it.)

Gaspin' for one now!

Ive got friends out in tower....cant remember was it that or another that got fire bombed a few weeks back. Which one had the pool table again? Twas that one.

Forced renovation :confused:

What kit did you use or are you gonna use all separate ingredients?

Henrys, lol. Theres a blast from the past! I was in there on my Junior Cert night years ago. Down by Prez first gatn cans :mug:

Christ, now I'm feeling old. Long time ago since I was gattin' two litres of Scrumpy Jack up in St. Vincents Field!

The pool table? I don't remember one in the Huntsman... must've been Aunties, so? (Haven't been home in four years - can't afford it these days with de mortgage)

Me and a buddy are doing partial mash for our first go. We bought this kit here from our local homebrew place in town. That kit came with the ingredients for our first batch of choice - which is strange, since we somehow ended up with brown ale. (We both like the darker stuff, and I think this was as dark as we could go while staying in the "beginner ales" category.)

We definitely want to get into the all grain brews, since they're seemingly cheaper to make, and we have more control - but neither of us have ever brewed before, so we're heeding advice and sticking with partial grains for the first few lashes. Aside from a mash/lauter tun (which I've found you can make yourself for a few bucks out of a cooler and some copper pipe) I don't think we'd need anything beyond what came in that kit. (People who know what they're talking about can feel free to correct me.)

The goal is to be able to lash out a chocolate coffee stout for Christmas. (I know that sounds like blasphemy, but believe me when I say that the feckers over here KNOW their stuff!)

Some day, I plan on having a bar downstairs in my basement. Three taps - two with CO2 for ales and the like, and one with Nitrogen for stout and porter. From what I've heard, the bottling process is a pain in the hole, and kegs are the way to go.

Looks like I'm covered. I've got both Guinness and Murphy's Tap handles for my kegerator.

My last Stout was a Guinness Clone from a Clone Brew book. Turned out great. My local homebrew shop carries all the necessary ingredients including acidulated malt.

Can't wait to make it again and nitrogenate it this time.

I currently have Guinness in my fridge left over from my son's Wedding. We had Stella and Guinness on tap. I'm a fan of Guinness...he's a fan of Stella (?)...

We both like the darker stuff, and I think this was as dark as we could go while staying in the "beginner ales" category.

Actually darker beers are easier. They can cover up a lot of flaws that may be present, but you won't notice them. If you like stout and porter, go for it.

Now light lager, that is a hard beer to make well.

Ill find out the name of it today and report back if i can.
Just back from a session in crosshaven (its 3pm :mug: .....long night!) and im having a recovery pint....of Milk!

Was in the kings head i think. Few years ago when i was working up there.

Alas, those days are gone now, "no work tomorow" :ban:

I get so board, hehe.

Galways nice but its a bit studenty for my liking. Place does be rocking every night though.

Back