Texas DFW Looses Another LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It was a sad, sad day in DFW yesterday. Another LHBS, Homebrew Headquarters, closed its doors after 50 years serving the local Home Brew community. They will be missed by all of us. Seems like Rona likely had a lot to do with this...

We had 3 LHBS's when I started brewing, now we're down to one. The one that was closest to me, Dallas Home Brew, shut its doors ~3 years ago due to a family decision after one of the owners passed. The only one left (that I'm aware of anyway) is Texas Brewing Inc... Its a nice LHBS but its been the furthest from me. Their website has a post that their storefront is closed and only doing will call pickup there. They do ship though.
I buy bulk grain so looks like I'll be driving to almost Ft. Worth now for that now. Shipping 55# bags of grain just isnt cost effective.

FU Rona!

#SupportYourLHBS

Yup, they've mostly all shut down around here, no money in it anymore, I suppose. On a road trip, I went out of my way to stop at a large HBS near Philly, and although it was a nice, well stocked store, they didn't carry the product that I wanted anymore. They said business has been kind of slow and getting anyone that wants to work is a problem.

I think a lot of folks are ordering online rather than supporting their local homebrew shop. Even if things cost a little more it's worth supporting. If we don't support them and make it worth it why should they try and keep it going.

I'm not saying you folks don't support them but I suspect a large amount of the brewing community buys most of their stuff from the well known big online retailers.

Yea, its a shame. I still use TX Brewing, thankfully there are close to me in Fort Worth, I also use another LBHS in Fort Worth, Brewhound Supplies. Also a knowledgeable store.

Same situation here in San Diego. Several shut down in the last few years and the virus was the final straw for a couple of them. My LHBS is only 10 minutes away, which I'm quite blessed with, but it too would have closed if not for a local businessman, entrepreneur, and brewing enthusiast taking over. He makes zero profit and just runs it as a passion.

If you're ever in north county San Diego, pay a visit to Wild West Homebrew in Escondido, just a stone's throw from Stone Brewing (pun intended). Tim will put a smile on your face and treat you well no matter what level experience you have.

Also The Homebrewer down on El Cajon Boulevard in North Park is da bomb.

Do you think the number of home brewers is decreasing as well? Seems like this site was more populated a few years ago. Much less bustling now. Perhaps it's a product of the microwave society and everyone gets a trophy culture. Slowing down, diving into your passion, working on your craft and art, and having patience are all diminishing.

Ramble on!

Yea, its a shame. I still use TX Brewing, thankfully there are close to me in Fort Worth, I also use another LBHS in Fort Worth, Brewhound Supplies. Also a knowledgeable store.

TXbrewing will likely be closing too, prob by the end of 2022. He is full on a wholesale shop to breweries and doesn't see why he needs to waste so much time on so little profit from a single homebrew sale.

I made it out to BrewHound finally. Its a nice shop and the owner is very helpful. I'll be using them now but it is a 2 hour round-trip though. Still much better than not having any LHBS at all.

Guess I was spoiled before... :(

I've got one close to me, south of Houston in Webster, I'm not sure how many are around the greater Houston area but, i am thankful to have one so close to me.
The Hoppin Grape is a good shop with friendly smiling faces always ready to greet you and help in any way and they encourage me taste the raw grains so i can get to know the difference in the profiles of the raw grains.

If your in the area and need a good brew shop, check out the Hoppin Grape!

I live in Big Spring, west Texas. There is nothing even remotely close. I get supplies in Kansas City when I visit my son. I wish I could do a 2 hour run for supplies.

New Home brew store opened today, not terribly from from the one that closed. North Txes Homebrew supply - I stopped in today and picked up some yeast, met the owner Eric and a couple other folks. Good to have a LHBS again!

YES! I wanted to make it to the Grand Opening today but just couldnt get there. Will be headed there soon though!

For those of you in the North Dallas burbs/Collin County TX area, there is a new LHBS in Sherman called Kettle to Keg. Owners, Robert and Laura, are nice folks. I try to support them as much as possible.

Back