DFH 90 and 120, I leave it for those who enjoy it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had all three and like the 90 min the best. the 120 was awesome, but you couldn't drink that many due to price and abv. I like the 60, but it is by far not my favorite IPA. i know a lot of people think that the 90 is too malty, and I'm a self-aware hop head, but I feel like the 90 is just really well balanced. at the same time I can see how people would think it's too sweet though. Case in point for me personally, a few years ago I had LongHammer IPA. I thought it was awesome with all it's hoppy-ness, but I recently had it and felt that is was just an average brew with tons of late hop additions.

I know dogfishhead gets a lot of heat for their's beers being too malty by some folks but for the most part I enjoy that aspect. If I drank nothing but DFH I think it the flavors would get to be too much (except for the 90 for me) but I really don't get to enjoy them much so they are like a special thing for me.

When I first got into craft beer (which wasn't even that long ago, less than a year), I hated IPAs. I considered myself the opposite of a hop head. I was (and still am!) a huge stout fan. The thicker and darker a beer is, the better.

Now though, I find myself seeking out different IPAs. I've grown to love the stuff. That said, I still don't think I'm enough of a fan to appreciate the 120. It's too much of... everything.

I agree with this statement 100% and With the 120 being like a barleywine. The 90 and 120 are both extremely sweet and after about 2 of them they make me sick to my stomach.

H'm. I don't think I'd go so far as to say that any beer ever made me "sick to my stomach," but there's little doubt that there's currently a "hop fetish" in American brewing, and it must simply run its course, as must the notion that we can spend our way out of a recession.
There's a medium here, but, as someone remarked previously in this thread, what "medium" is tends to be a matter of taste, and thus I believe incommensurable in an online discussion. Too bad we all can't get together, bring a case of our own best examples, and share it around.

"RICLARK"- I must remind myself not to read your taglines too early in the morning. I read "OUTLAW ALES" somewhat differently, and my first coffee-deprived thought was "Won't the Welsh object to that?"

I noticed in reading over this thread that the closer people are to Delaware, the more likely they seem to be to like DFH of any type. For me, DFH 60 is my "go to" beer when I don't have any of my own handy, or if I am out. I prefer it to similar brews from around this area (like Victory's Hope Devil and other).

I don't think this is simply a matter of regional pride. I am sure that every effort is made to ship DFH (and other non-pasteurized beers) in controlled conditions, but I suspect that long truck rides are not conducive to preserving and delivering an exceptional beer thousands of miles from its point of origin.

I have a bottle of the 90 left from a 4-pack I bought a few months ago. I need to give it another try tonight. I really didn't like it either - sickening sweetness without enough hops. Maybe it was just a bad night.

edit: Not a bad night. Just not my kind o' IPA.

It's funny -- I love APA's and IPA's -- but I've never been a big fan of DFH beers. I don't know what it is-- maybe I just don't have a taste for the hops they use. I respect the beers, I just don't enjoy them.

I respect the beers, I just don't enjoy them.

I respect what they are doing as well and want to try more of their beer in order to find one that I like. I will just stay clear of their IPA's as they just aren't my style.

I like DFH 60 & 90. Not a fan of many of their beers, but I respect their platform and I think Sam is good for the craft industry in general.

That aside, I don't mind a bit of malt in my IPA-style over-the-top hop beers. Take Lagunitas IPA, pretty substantial crystal presence in that one, but still awesome IMO!

120 Minute is Mmmm Good.. Nice desert beer.. I have a Case under my bar.... I also love their Raison d' Extra.. (Steriod version of their Raison d' Etre. I only have two bottles. They last brewed it in 2007.... Make some more....

I actually really like both the 60 and 90, but prefer a slightly less malty IPA. At one time, The 90 minute was my favorite all time beer. I am a hop-head, I really really like hops, but they are too sweet for the style, IMHO. That said, I still think they're great. The 120 on the other hand, not so much.

For me, DFH are fine beers....but they're not the best. If I'm spending 10+ dollars on a pack of beer, I'd like it to have a unique character. I think the 90 minute IPA can exemplify what a DIPA should be...but then they don't go out on a limb with a particular character. When it comes to American craft brewers that focus on hops, I like Rogue and Great Divide much more then DFH: they seem to have a better blend of malt profile with destinct hop characteristics I like in any beer (be it an IPA, Belgian, stout, or barleywine).

Quick question on this topic. Has DFH made a new batch of 120 min? At my local bar this afternoon, they had it in the chiller. I wasn't about to pay $20 for a bottle of it, but I would like to know if I can expect to find some around town any time soon.

When it comes to American craft brewers that focus on hops, I like Rogue and Great Divide much more then DFH: they seem to have a better blend of malt profile with destinct hop characteristics I like in any beer (be it an IPA, Belgian, stout, or barleywine).

Agreed. Although I really enjoy the DFH experience, I think their beers are mostly about the shock factor and less about creating an overall drinkable beer. Rogue has done a great job on the hop side with the Shakespeare Stout, '07 RIS (f'ing amazing!) and their consistency with Old Crustacean.

I must say, however, that I think Stone has got to be the king of hops. They manage to find the perfect balance between sweetness and bitterness across their entire product line, which I haven't found in another brewery.

Aside from hops, a great alternative to DFH for "different" beers is Dieu du Ciel! I've yet to taste one that I didn't like.

Quick question on this topic. Has DFH made a new batch of 120 min? At my local bar this afternoon, they had it in the chiller. I wasn't about to pay $20 for a bottle of it, but I would like to know if I can expect to find some around town any time soon.

They continue to make it a few times a year...

WOW! 20 bucks a bottle! No way I would pay that much. I bought 4 bottles back in March. They were marked $9.99 on the shelf but rang up at $7.99. I guess I was lucky. Its a pretty good beer but not something that I would drink regularly. I still have 3 of them aging along with a few Exit 4s from Flying Fish in Cherry Hill NJ and few of my own IPAs. I plan on breaking them out during hte Christmas holidays.

I was at their brewpub in Delaware last week, and they had the 120 on tap. I tried it, and enjoyed it, though it's not something I'd drink often- just a bit intense unless you're really in a barleywine-sipping mood. Anyway, if it's on tap there, it seems they've brewed it relatively recently (and conditioned it, given that it's an 18% beer) and was smooth.

I must say, however, that I think Stone has got to be the king of hops. They manage to find the perfect balance between sweetness and bitterness across their entire product line, which I haven't found in another brewery.

Have you tried Great Divide yet, pkpdogg? If you like Stone, I think you'll be impressed with them. They're smaller, but really seem to be getting lot of distribution here in the South (even though they're in Denver). Anyway, I love their imperial stout, and with their double IPA....you actually see some hop particles floating in the beer. Theirs does have a better sense of hoppiness gone awry (yet with a nice subdued maltiness in the background). If you like imperial stouts, their oaked aged Yetti is quite good. Anyway, they are worth a try!

I tried a bottle of 120 last night and I didn't care for it. Definetely not worth the 9 bucks I payed for it. Maybe it's because I don't believe I've ever had an Imperial IPA before. I was expecting to be an IPA on steroids, something where I'd take a drink and think this beer was personally responsible for the hop shortage. Instead, it tasted to me like a barleywine. I don't know, I'll pass the 120 next time I see it.

For me, DFH are fine beers....but they're not the best. If I'm spending 10+ dollars on a pack of beer, I'd like it to have a unique character. I think the 90 minute IPA can exemplify what a DIPA should be...but then they don't go out on a limb with a particular character. When it comes to American craft brewers that focus on hops, I like Rogue and Great Divide much more then DFH: they seem to have a better blend of malt profile with destinct hop characteristics I like in any beer (be it an IPA, Belgian, stout, or barleywine).

+1 for Great Divide, their Fresh Hops, and Hercules are damn good brews, better than DFH IMHO. DFH has a subtle sweetness that I don't really enjoy.

I have a World Wide Stout chilling right now. I picked it up last weekend in Blacksburg, VA. Where's a good place to buy beer in Boone? I am in that area from time to time.

Peabodys Wine and Beer. Right off of 105, just right past the intersection. Their selection is good. Friendly. It is a little more expensive than going to the grocery but its more or less if your looking for specialty beer. The craft beer scene is huge and a lot of groceries have a "wide" selection of beer. But like I said you would not be able to find DFH's extreme beers but they have a great selection.

120 Minute is Mmmm Good.. Nice desert beer.. I have a Case under my bar.... I also love their Raison d' Extra.. (Steriod version of their Raison d' Etre. I only have two bottles. They last brewed it in 2007.... Make some more....

I just had their Raison D'Extra 2007 a couple of weeks back. Hardly no carbonation. Enjoyable. But damn if it wasn't hot on the stomach. The alcohol and raisons were definitely there. Also had their Fort. It was too ripe and early to drink but we just couldn't wait.

Peabodys Wine and Beer. Right off of 105, just right past the intersection. Their selection is good. Friendly. It is a little more expensive than going to the grocery but its more or less if your looking for specialty beer. The craft beer scene is huge and a lot of groceries have a "wide" selection of beer. But like I said you would not be able to find DFH's extreme beers but they have a great selection.

Awesome, Thanks. I have stopped by Peabody's before. Great place. If you are ever in the Abingdon/Bristol area, some shops have a decent selection of DFH. The World Wide Stout was outstanding, check one out if you get a chance.

I was going to buy a 120 the other day, now that the local place carries it and it was $10 a bottle! Not a big bottle either, just a regular 12 oz.

I got a whole 6 pack of stuff for the same price:

Celis Grand Cru (2)
Tri-City Imperial Stout
and 3 kinds of Atwater beers

Now I know it was a barleywine, but come on!

Back