dextrose after boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli_Crow

Reaction score
I accidentally forgot add the dextrose to the boil so I added it as I was putting the wort into the carboy while I pitched the yeast is that going to affect anything drastic??

Did you just add it cold powder form? If so first you may have introduced any bugs that were growing in the dextrose. Second it won't mix and just fall out of suspension. Next time if you forget something boil it separate and cool it before adding to carboy.

don't worry about it.

#1: the yeast will find the sugar whether it is sitting at the bottom or in solution.

#2: As long as it was a new (unopened) bag of sugar, I wouldn't worry. Whenever I make apfelwein I just dump raw dextrose into my fermenter and have never had a problem. If the bag was open previously then you *might* have an issue, but I've never tried it.

Nasties generally can't survive in/on dry sugar. they need moisture as well as food,warmth & o2. But being added dry might be a small problem if you didn't stir it in well. Then it might wind up under the initial trub settling till the yeasties find it.

If you have a good fermentation going on there's plenty of agitation that mixes the dextrose into the beer. You'll be fine.

You could stick a sanitized racking cane in the carboy and give it a good stir. But the more you tinker, the more you risk infection and oxidation.

Well damn... does that mean this batch is a waste??

Is it a waste? Absolutely not. Is it ideal? No, but it will be beer so let it ride and see what comes. I agree with jro238 that it is a lot of "might"'s when it comes to any possible infection. But dextrose is an extremely fertile medium for any number of "bugs" that will definitely ruin your beer. I like to know for sure that there is no chance so anything you add to or touch your chilled wort must be sterilized, or at least sanitized. I also respectfully disagree about the yeast being able to ferment a solid substance at the bottom of the carboy. Yeast will grow on the dextrose and will use what is readily available on the surface, but then you will simply leave it behind when you rack off of the trub.

As I said,nasties have a hard time growing on dry sugar packed tightly together in a sealed bag. They need moistur to support their cell walls,warmth & food to propogate. So this isn't an ideal scenario for them. But adding it at the end of the boil would def have been better.

I did add it cold powder form but I think I mixed it well cause I did shake the carboy before adding the yeast

As I said,nasties have a hard time growing on dry sugar packed tightly together in a sealed bag. They need moistur to support their cell walls,warmth & food to propogate. So this isn't an ideal scenario for them. But adding it at the end of the boil would def have been better.

The manufacturer goes to great lengths to make sure their product will last as long as possible granted, but it will eventually go bad in the sealed package from the same "nasties" you speak of. I'm not trying to be a "bearer of bad news", just trying to help a new brewer learn from their mistakes the same way we all did. If there is ANY chance something other than the yeast strain you want to ferment your beer is present in the ingredients you absolutely NEED to boil the said ingredients to make sure it is sterile. Things like this is what makes some brewers think to themselves "why is my beer infected, I added only what those guys online said was ok?". Rule of thumb of brewing, anything that touches your chilled wort has to be sterilized!!!!!! Is your beer going to be ok, probably. Just make a better effort next time to keep everything sanitary, you WILL make better beer because of it.

The manufacturer goes to great lengths to make sure their product will last as long as possible granted, but it will eventually go bad in the sealed package from the same "nasties" you speak of. I'm not trying to be a "bearer of bad news", just trying to help a new brewer learn from their mistakes the same way we all did. If there is ANY chance something other than the yeast strain you want to ferment your beer is present in the ingredients you absolutely NEED to boil the said ingredients to make sure it is sterile. Things like this is what makes some brewers think to themselves "why is my beer infected, I added only what those guys online said was ok?". Rule of thumb of brewing, anything that touches your chilled wort has to be sterilized!!!!!! Is your beer going to be ok, probably. Just make a better effort next time to keep everything sanitary, you WILL make better beer because of it.

This is mostly correct, except "sterilization" is the wrong term. Sterilization is not needed and in most cases can't even be attained. The correct terms are "sanitation" and "pasteurization."

And even with that knowledge, we throw in vanilla beans, wood, ripe fruit, dry hops, spices, etc. Even when soaked in vodka for a week, they are not sterile.

Someone added sugar cubes to beer bottles for priming and infected each and every one. Realize, sugar cubes are not tightly packed sugar, and handling them adds bugs.

Back