Determining competition category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpolzin25

Reaction score
So I brewed an american wheat style beer w/ a little bit of a belgian twist. I personally think it turned our really good and am debating which category it would fall into. I basically took a simple grain bill of 50% red wheat, 40% 2-row, and 10% rye and then used mosaic hops for flavor/aroma as well a little coriander and then safbrew T58. At bottling time I definitely thought this easily fit into the 1D american wheat category but now that its carbbed, the coriander flavor comes through more (at bottling it was very subtle) so I am wondering if this falls more into the spice/vegetable/herb beer category.

The coriander doesn't overtake the beer but you can definitely taste it. The best way to describe it is you mosaic hop flavor followed by the coriander. Kind of reminds me of a shocktop w/ mosaic hops and toned down on the coriander flavor.

Thanks in advance

Why not enter it under both styles to see how it scores if you are entering just for feedback? However, if you are entering to try to win, then I would say the spice/vegetable/herb category. If you read the BJCP guideline for American Wheat, it makes no mention of spices, thus if judges pick up coriander, you will have points deducted.

Latest posts

Back