Winter Seasonal Beer Detective Spooner's Sweet Potato Pie Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smit70136

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68
Additional Fermentation
N/A
Tasting Notes
A tasty spiced dessert beer for the holidays.
I wanted to brew something fitting for the holiday season that would fit right in with a good mulled cider or gluhwein but could also be used as a dessert beer. I've made a few revisions over the last year and finally got to one worthy of sharing. Hope someone else gets the same enjoyment out of this that I have.

11 lbs. 4 oz. Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lb. 8 oz. Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L (120.0 SRM)
1 lb. Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1 lb. Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
4 oz. Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
4 oz. Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
1 oz. Magnum [13.5%] - Boil 60.0 min
8 oz. Maltodextrin - Boil 20 min
8 oz. Lactose - Boil 15 min
1 tsp. Irish Moss - Boil 10 min
1 tsp. Ginger Root - Boil 5 min
1 oz. Fuggles [5.2%] - Boil 5 min
1 tbsp. Cinnamon - Boil 5 min
1/3 tsp. Cloves - Boil 5 min
1 pkg SafAle English Ale (S-04)

10 lbs. Baked Sweet Potato (Secondary 14 days)
4 Vanilla Beans (Secondary 14 days)
9 oz. Rum (Secondary 14 days) - recommend not using spiced rum for this

Mash with 5.5 gallons @ 154 for 90 minutes
Fly sparge with 4.3 gallons @ 168

Slice and scrape the vanilla beans and add to the rum on or just after brew day. Store in an airtight container until you're ready to rack to secondary.

When you're ready to transfer the beer to secondary, bake the sweet potatoes until they start to leak then remove the skins, mash, and bake again until you start to see the slightest bit of black forming. Let this cool then add directly to your sanitized secondary along with the rum/vanilla mixture. I highly recommend a bucket - can't imagine trying to get this out of a carboy. This takes some planning as the sweet potatoes take a bit of time to cool.

Leave in secondary at least two more weeks and then bottle or keg as you see fit. I like a low carbonation level with this one but do what sounds good to you. It definitely will benefit from a bit of aging. I brewed a batch on 9/15/15 and it is much better now than it was last month.

I don't know (or care) how much alcohol potential is added by the sugars in the sweet potatoes but I imagine it's not too consequential. My measured ABV on the last batch was 6.6% and anecdotal evidence seems to support that measurement.

If anyone brews this let me know how it turns out!

Prost!

Latest posts

Back