Detecting beer issues without reference / friends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boicutt

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Being a perfectionist I always want to be the best at everything I put my energy into. In less than a year I've managed to make some pretty great beers, some that I haven't been able to reproduce despite using the exact same recipes. Similar, but not the same...

With that said, I have made other beers that taste good but that I know have issues, just by having something in it that "just doesn't taste right" so they end up being just decent. I'm not able to pin-point the issues as I've never been given a beer with said issue and been told "Taste this beer, this is what's wrong with it". So in a way I can take a wild guess based on everything I've read, but it doesn't mean I'm right, and then when rebrewing it, I'll only be trying to fix an issue that might not have been the cause.

I have a significant other/ a lot of friends who enjoy my beer, but none of them have the knowledge to help me identify issues or flaws... do any of you have this issue? How do you manage? How would you manage if you had this issue to improve on making better beer?

Thanks!:mug:

Sending your beer into competitions helps. BJCP competitions have experienced judges that know how to pick out specific off-flavors and tell you what they are.

Joining a homebrew club also exposes your beers to people that have experience with off-flavors and they usually know how to help you get rid of them.

I live in a metropolitan area where there are lots of people who are knowledgeable and I know who these people are so I ask them over to drink the beer. That is, IMO, a much better way to get good feedback that putting beer into competitions but I recommend that too especially if your situation does not permit the first approach I mentioned. In short, join a brew club and participate.

Joining a homebrew club will definitely help. Entering competitions is the best way to get really useful feedback. Don't plan on winning, plan on getting a scoresheet that highlights all of the flaws and all of the positives. Winning is a bonus though. Also, if you have a good LHBS the guys that run it can probably give you a pretty honest opinion.

Joining a homebrew club will definitely help. Entering competitions is the best way to get really useful feedback. Don't plan on winning, plan on getting a scoresheet that highlights all of the flaws and all of the positives. Winning is a bonus though. Also, if you have a good LHBS the guys that run it can probably give you a pretty honest opinion.

I've been meaning to ask an LHBS owner: How much bad beer do you have to choke down?

Having the significant other tasting your beer isn't a bad idea, eventually they'll take notice that its something important to you. It took awhile but, I would ask questions of my SWMBO and when she would say "it tastes good" I would try and elicit further response.

For example, recently I finished a German Amber Honey Ale (1007 German Ale year with a bock-like grain bill and 23oz of honey). I knew I pitched warm, but it fermented nice and cool under 60F. She right away said it was good and it tasted like a commercial beer. Knowing what I knew about pitching it warm

Arkot:"Do you taste or detect any clove, banana, or stone fruit esters like peach?"
SWMBO: "I can't believe you just talked to me about stone fruit esters"
Arkot: :confused:
SWMBO: "No, I guess if I really tried I could find some bare amount of clove in the back ground, but the honey, the malty bready, and hops cover it up"

Ask questions, expand their vocabulary by using the words asking them if they detect certain things.

I've been meaning to ask an LHBS owner: How much bad beer do you have to choke down?

Oh man, you have no idea! But I also get to drink a bunch of really good beer so it's pretty much a wash. The tricky part is giving honest feedback without hurting their feelings or sounding too critical. I've learned to use the Socratic method and ask leading questions (i.e. what fermentation temp? time? etc.) to offer constructive feedback. There are a few guys that I'll see pull into the parking lot and I immediately reach for a glass because I know they are going to bring something awesome.

Oh man, you have no idea! But I also get to drink a bunch of really good beer so it's pretty much a wash. The tricky part is giving honest feedback without hurting their feelings or sounding too critical. I've learned to use the Socratic method and ask leading questions (i.e. what fermentation temp? time? etc.) to offer constructive feedback. There are a few guys that I'll see pull into the parking lot and I immediately reach for a glass because I know they are going to bring something awesome.

I only ask because the guys at my LHBS keep hitting me up and I genuinely think they have to be gluttons for punishment. Though I did get a sip of a dude's AMAZING Oaked Barleywine last week.

I only ask because the guys at my LHBS keep hitting me up and I genuinely think they have to be gluttons for punishment. Though I did get a sip of a dude's AMAZING Oaked Barleywine last week.

They must like your beer. I only request samples from a few people in general because I really like their beer. Unless someone specifically wants help with something, then I tell them to bring it in

They must like your beer. I only request samples from a few people in general because I really like their beer. Unless someone specifically wants help with something, then I tell them to bring it in

They've never had it, but they know my recipes and we've talked about my process enough that they might think it's turning out good enough to try.

They've never had it, but they know my recipes and we've talked about my process enough that they might think it's turning out good enough to try.

oh well then you should definitely bring them some. I know exactly how they feel. After talking with brewers over and over while they learn you really want to try the fruits of their labors and see how they progress. It would be good for you to hear what they think of your beer and it would be good for them because, well, it's always nice when someone brings in a beer that you helped plan. go for it dude :mug:

Back