Designing my next brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johow

Reaction score
My very first brew a month or two ago was a Citra pale ale. It was very good but it only yielded about two gallons and it's long gone. I'd like to do it again but maybe try to improve it in a couple of areas. The hoppyness was just perfect, Magnum for bittering and Citra for flavor and dry hoping. I used American 2 row (90%) and crystal 40 (10%). I'd like to add a little head retention and maybe a little thicker mouth feel. I'd like to keep the abv at the same level, near 5.5 or 6%. What would be some possible adds to the grain bill for head retention and mouth feel?

I use carapils malt to increase headstand and body without increasing abv or adding much flavor. Typically you want to keep % low. 2% or less should be sufficient.

Another way to increase mouthfeel is increasing mash temperature. I typically do pale ales around 155*F, as opposed to, say, a saison which is suppose to have a light body, between 149 and 150*F.

Good suggestions. Another malt to consider is Simpson's Golden naked oats. I've done some research, but haven't brewed with it yet. It will be going in my next brew, a lower alcohol "session" IPA. It is supposed to add body, maltiness, and head retention. All things needed in a lighter IPA. Also, it's a crystal malt, so sub it for some of your crystal 40, not for your base malt.

I use Carapils on Pale Ales. I usually am trying to keep mine light and clear in color. I also try an focus on hop profiles. Carapils is easy to work with for those goals.
Wheat is great for head and mouthfeel as well, but my experience with it has resulted in a little to much haziness then I like in a Pale Ale. I've been using Wheat in IPA's and have been happy with it there.

+1 on carapils. Just thumbed through a few of my recipes, they are all between 2-4% carapils on my pales.

I use carapils malt to increase headstand and body without increasing abv or adding much flavor. Typically you want to keep % low. 2% or less should be sufficient.

Another way to increase mouthfeel is increasing mash temperature. I typically do pale ales around 155*F, as opposed to, say, a saison which is suppose to have a light body, between 149 and 150*F.

This.

Don't use wheat. Unless you want to.

Hey thanks for all your suggestions!!!
So based on these and my previous brew (that I really do like) this is what I've come up with.... What do you think. It is a citrus bomb and best if drank somewhat young I think. I sure enjoyed the 2 gallons I had while it lasted. I may mash a little warmer or not but have added .5 lb of carapils and have adjusted my effiency increase mostly due to my new grain thrasher. My most recent brew is still in the fermenter but I remilled the LHBS grind and was able to get a respectable 81% effiency thru the boil.
Anyway this is what I'm thinking....

5 gallon Citra special
BIAB
Style is somewhere between Pale Ale and IPA at least as far as IBU's
5.5 gallons

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.009
ABV: 5.65%
IBU: 59.8

9 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (85.7%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 30L (9.5%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (4.8%)

Mash 152 F, 60 min, 7.8 gal
Boil 65 min

1 oz - Magnum FWH
0.75 oz - Citra 15 min
0.75 oz - Citra 10 min
0.75 oz - Citra 5 min
0.75 oz - Citra 0 min, steep 10 minutes prior to cooling
3 oz - Citra, Dry Hop for 5 days

1 Whirlfloc, Time: 10 min

YEAST: Dry US-05

Personally I'd start with higher mash temp than with adding in CaraPils, see if process can get you where you want before ingredient changes.

Yeast can make a difference, too. Compared with US-05, I find that WLP051 Cal Ale V leaves me a few pts higher on FG (a little more mouthfeel, a tad sweeter perception), and I always get really nice lacing with that yeast in a pale. And S-04 typically will leave even a few more FG pts, plus can put some esters in there that complement a fruity-hopped pale.

Personally I'd start with higher mash temp than with adding in CaraPils, see if process can get you where you want before ingredient changes.

Yeast can make a difference, too. Compared with US-05, I find that WLP051 Cal Ale V leaves me a few pts higher on FG (a little more mouthfeel, a tad sweeter perception), and I always get really nice lacing with that yeast in a pale. And S-04 typically will leave even a few more FG pts, plus can put some esters in there that complement a fruity-hopped pale.

I've never used anything but us-05 so I might just try something new. I did notice a few points when I plugged it into my recipe calculator.

Some good suggestions here. I like using wheat malt in my hoppy beers (just a preference thing there), but trying another yeast and/or upping the mash temp would be a good start too. Maybe an English Ale yeast (Wyeast 1318 has been great in my hop-forward pale ales) would be worth trying?

Good luck - looks like a great recipe. Simple, hoppy, and delicious!

That looks tasty! I mash similar beers anywhere from 148-152, and steep a little longer during the hop stand (20-30 min).
Nice work. That is gonna be good!

Latest posts

Back