Designing an easy to clean brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmccraney

Reaction score
After puttering along on my 5 gal cooler and keggle system, I'm looking to upgrade to a shiny new single-tier half-barrel direct-fire RIMS brewhouse. One of my biggest complaints with the old system is that it has been a major PITA to clean. All the nooks and crannies of the patchwork keggle, plus each tube in the cooler's manifold collect grime no matter how much I scrub. I've seen a lot of nice builds on here and was curious if that experience has taught you anything about making an easy to clean system.

My current thought is that I want to be able to pump hot PBW or other cleaner through all the tubing and add a spray ball to basically CIP the mash tun, kettle, chiller, and all the pumps and tubing. Does this sound feasible? It probably would mean I should avoid threaded fittings where I can, so tri-clamp fittings on the kettles, but I'm probably still stuck with threaded fittings on the pumps. Is this a major concern? Anything about pump selection I need to be aware of? Being able to drain them a certain way?

Thanks in advance for the cleaning advice, and any other advice as well while I start this new build.

Oh, forgot to mention I'm looking at using butterfly valves on the kettles. A) because if they're running to pumps they'll always be open and B) because it seems like I could clean them with a good cleaner recirc vs ball valves which you're supposed to disassemble.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can always run boiling water through it all to sterilize the nooks and crannies.

True, that works for sterilization of the chiller, but I think my bigger concern design-wise is how to first get everything clean.

Same as the pros. Scrub what you can reach, pump/recirc cleaner then sanitizer though the rest. That's what has to be done on hard plumbed systems.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Any design recommendations? Just trying to avoid having that one crevice or joint that never gets cleaned right. I know the pros use caustic, but is pbw sufficient? I've never used it in this context

Back