Desert island dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hirschb

Reaction score
I'm moving to Australia next year, so it'll be difficult for me to buy lots of commercial sour beers. I assume I'll ramp up production of my home brew sours, but it's not possible to get ECY or dregs from lots of the beers I like.
So, to my question: if you were stuck on an island and were only allowed to bring 5 beers to use for their dregs, which 5 would you bring?
(FYI- I already have several bottles of Jester King & Crooked Stave, can easily get Jolly Pumpkin, but can't easily find Russian River and Cantillon)

Crooked Stave and JP would be a go-to for sour and funk, respectively.

Can you get The Bruery?

Yep, Bruery is easy to find in DC. Sour in the Rye might be a good candidate for nice dregs.

Yep, Bruery is easy to find in DC. Sour in the Rye might be a good candidate for nice dregs.

So I've heard. I guess what you really want are some dregs with yeast that are not commercially available? Jolly Pumpkin and Allagash are a couple of breweries in the US that ferment some of their beers spontaneously and should have a unique mix of bugs and yeast.

So I've heard. I guess what you really want are some dregs with yeast that are not commercially available? Jolly Pumpkin and Allagash are a couple of breweries in the US that ferment some of their beers spontaneously and should have a unique mix of bugs and yeast.

Exactly. I'm really wondering what have been various brewers favorite dregs for home brewing. There are plenty of beers with viable dregs, but depending on the circumstances, not all of them produce good homebrew.

Exactly. I'm really wondering what have been various brewers favorite dregs for home brewing. There are plenty of beers with viable dregs, but depending on the circumstances, not all of them produce good homebrew.

Jolly Pumpkin is easily my favorite so far, find a low ABV 'freshier' beer like one of the Bam series (Bam Beire, Bam Noire, etc) and culture that up.

Ive used a lot of jolly pumpkin, crooked stave, and prairie artisan ales for my sours. I now have a combination house sour culture that is somehow capable of souring a beer in under a month

Back