Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michigan_Wolfman

Reaction score
Had the opportunity last night to sample Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter while at the grocery store picking up some last minute stuff for New Year's Eve. Not only had I never heard of this brewery before last night, it was also the very first example of a porter I have ever tasted. I was pleasantly surprised! Very creamy mouth feel, hints of chocolate and coffee, finished with a roasted flavor. I picked up a six pack, which I will be enjoying responsibly later tonight. I think I'll be brewing up a porter for my next batch of homebrew after I run out of the Adventures In Homebrewing Frozen Flames steam beer recipe kit that's currently fermenting rather vigorously in my five gallon brew bucket (All hail SafAle US-05!) :mug:

nice, i didnt realize it was so exclusive. Where im from, you can get black butte at pretty much any store and gas station. One of my go to's

Deschutes has slowly been making their way east. We got the bombers around late 2014, and got 6ers of the regular releases a little ways into 2015. Glad I can finally get Black Butte easily, it's one of the best Porters out there, without a doubt, English or American. I used to have to trade or travel to get it.

Yeah Deschutes is the 7th largest craft brewery in the US, surprised you havent heard of them! They pump out some great beers.

Yeah, I know it! I found their website and I'm like "Hmm...they've been around awhile." Hoping to find some of their Pine Mountain Pilsner on the shelf next time around.

Maybe one day they will make it down here. Bells and Founders are in the works, according to our distributor. He said the same about Oskar Blues and that happened so just maybe.

Haha that makes me chuckle a bit. Deschutes black butter is the go to craft beer restaurants carry around here when they don't know any better.

Drinking Black Butte XXVI right now, an absolutely outstanding beer.

Their Abyss is one of my very favorites. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Had the opportunity last night to sample Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter while at the grocery store picking up some last minute stuff for New Year's Eve. Not only had I never heard of this brewery before last night, it was also the very first example of a porter I have ever tasted. I was pleasantly surprised! Very creamy mouth feel, hints of chocolate and coffee, finished with a roasted flavor. I picked up a six pack, which I will be enjoying responsibly later tonight. I think I'll be brewing up a porter for my next batch of homebrew after I run out of the Adventures In Homebrewing Frozen Flames steam beer recipe kit that's currently fermenting rather vigorously in my five gallon brew bucket (All hail SafAle US-05!) :mug:

Welcome to the Wonderful world of Porter Beers!

I just sampled my latest BBP clone today..best I have made so far, and very very close.

IMG_1712.JPG

Black Butte is a classic. One of the first craft beers I ever had. I dont really buy a lot of Porter's, as I prefer more hop forward beers. Black Butte is an exception. Great Beer

Back