Depth of hydrometer sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinthehull

Reaction score
When grabbing a sample with a wine thief, does the depth the sample is taken from have an impact? It seems like it would considering how different the beer looks near the bottom, but I can't find anyone commenting on how deep they take their sample from. I have a pretty long thief should I take the sample from the top?

If it's pre-fermentation, it might. Some people boil a small amount of wort, and add water to top up. Inadequate stirring would mean that the heavier extract-laden wort would sink and make the readings inaccurate. If it's post fermentation, then the beer would be the same reading throughout.

I pull my sample from the middle. I figure, this way I avoid the yeast on the bottom and the krausen on the top...

Sure, you've got the length, so take the sample from the center. Just remember when sanitizing it to sanitize up that far on the thief. Not sure what you are using for a hydrometer tube/container, but I find it helpful to fill the tube until the fill level is perfect for the ideal reading, then remove my hydrometer and mark a line on the tube w/ a sharpie at the wort level - from then on, I always know exactly how far to fill the tube before putting in the hydrometer and displacing the liquid.

Yooper said:
If it's pre-fermentation, it might. Some people boil a small amount of wort, and add water to top up. Inadequate stirring would mean that the heavier extract-laden wort would sink and make the readings inaccurate. If it's post fermentation, then the beer would be the same reading throughout.

Really? That's amazing that the clearer stuff on top won't read differently than the stuff on the bottom. Thanks for the help!

I like to take it from center also so that when I take the temp of the sample for Hydrometer adjustment, it gives me a more accurate depiction of the temp of the wort.

Really? That's amazing that the clearer stuff on top won't read differently than the stuff on the bottom. Thanks for the help!

Post fermentation, the difference in clarity between the top and bottom is just a reflection of the yeast having dropped out of the top, but still being in suspension in the bottom. The yeast will not affect specific gravity.

Latest posts

Back