Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally brewed this up yesterday. Used 1272, as LHBS was out of Dennys. Came in at 1.070...all went well. However it did blow off overnight, first blowoff I've ever had. I cleaned up and headed to work with krausen on my sleeve!

Man, this became the messiest, most intense fermentation I've done. First time using 1272. Made a big 2L starter.

Sadly I've lost a good bit of beer, probably 1/2 g, in blowoff. Need a bigger tube next time?

Brewed this one last night, overall very smooth brew day. Subbed C40 for C60 and used WLP028 instead of Denny's yeast, hopefully the rye character will come through. About an inch of krausen after just 10 hours so I'm pretty hopeful for the batch.

Brewed this one last night, overall very smooth brew day. Subbed C40 for C60 and used WLP028 instead of Denny's yeast, hopefully the rye character will come through. About an inch of krausen after just 10 hours so I'm pretty hopeful for the batch.

With all due respect, you actually brewed a different beer, not mine.

With all due respect, you actually brewed a different beer, not mine.

Very true, I should have said that I made a beer in the spirit of Denny's Wry Smile. My view is that the 60->40 substitution will be a minor variation and potentially undetectable given the variability I have in my process. The more significant deviation is the scotch ale yeast which I admit could substantially change the final beer character.

I usually brew two beers in one day. I had already decided for this weekend that one would be a Fresh Squeezed IPA clone. Now after finding this recipe I finally know what the 2nd one will be. I have a load of Mt. Hood and Columbus I want to use up and I love Rye IPAs. So perfect!

I just need to decide on the yeast:

US-05
BRY-97
Mangrove Jack's M42 (like a dry version of Wlp007).

:confused:

Hey folks,
So I just brewed this recipe about 8 days ago following the instructions pretty closely with some minor changes in hop additions etc.
Landed my OG at 1.073 and pitched a 1.8 liter starter I made from a 40ish day old smack pack of Denny's Favorite.

Everything was great for the first 5 or so days, tons of activity in the fermenter made me happy I rigged up a blow off setup. On the 6th day it really calmed down to almost no action in the airlock over the course of a few minutes so I took a small sample and measured the gravity at 1.035. I then waited 2 more days to take another reading and it had not visibly changed at all.

Now I'm left wondering if I'll get those last ~20 points out of it very slowly over the next few weeks, or if my yeast petered out prematurely due to age/viability and I should consider pitching another pack?

Any advice would be great! I want to get this sorted before I transfer to secondary.
Cheers!

Hey folks,
So I just brewed this recipe about 8 days ago following the instructions pretty closely with some minor changes in hope additions etc.
Landed my OG at 1.073 and pitched a 1.8 liter starter I made from a 40ish day old smack pack of Denny's Favorite.

Everything was great for the first 5 or so days, tons of activity in the fermenter made me happy I rigged up a blow off setup. On the 6th day it really calmed down to almost no action in the airlock over the course of a few minutes so I took a small sample and measured the gravity at 1.035. I then waited 2 more days to take another reading and it had not visibly changed at all.

Now I'm left wondering if I'll get those last ~20 points out of it very slowly over the next few weeks, or if my yeast petered out prematurely due to age/viability and I should consider pitching another pack?

Any advice would be great! I want to get this sorted before I transfer to secondary.
Cheers!

What temp are you at?

Close enough. At this point, try going to the low 70s and see if that helps.

Thank you Denny!
Unfortunately my fermentation chamber is an old refrigerator connected to a temperature control thermometer and I don't have any equipment installed to heat the chamber up, only to kick the power on and cool it down if it gets too hot. I'll look into my options as far as that is concerned, but would you have any other suggestions?
Cheers!

Thank you Denny!
Unfortunately my fermentation chamber is an old refrigerator connected to a temperature control thermometer and I don't have any equipment installed to heat the chamber up, only to kick the power on and cool it down if it gets too hot. I'll look into my options as far as that is concerned, but would you have any other suggestions?
Cheers!

Is there somewhere in your house it stays around 70? I'd just turn off the temp control completely and wrap it in a blanket, or crack the door and let ambient do the job.

What yeast was it? 1450 is a bit lower on the attenuation as compared to 001.

Is there somewhere in your house it stays around 70? I'd just turn off the temp control completely and wrap it in a blanket, or crack the door and let ambient do the job.

What yeast was it? 1450 is a bit lower on the attenuation as compared to 001.

I'll give Those suggestions a try. Unfortunately I'm on the coast in CA and during this time of the year in location it barely gets to 70, usually more like mid 60's. But I'll try insulating it.
I don't remember the exact yeast I used other than it was from wyeast and labeled as dennys favorite.

I'll give Those suggestions a try. Unfortunately I'm on the coast in CA and during this time of the year in location it barely gets to 70, usually more like mid 60's. But I'll try insulating it.
I don't remember the exact yeast I used other than it was from wyeast and labeled as dennys favorite.

Yep, that's 1450. Did you say you made a starter? I use a reptile heater bulb in my chest freezer to warm things up when needed. If you can't warm up, just give it more time to finish. I easily get 78+% attenuation out of that yeast.

Yep, that's 1450. Did you say you made a starter? I use a reptile heater bulb in my chest freezer to warm things up when needed. If you can't warm up, just give it more time to finish. I easily get 78+% attenuation out of that yeast.

I did make a starter. I was concerned that the age of the yeast I used (about 40 days old from date of packaging) may have lowered the viable yeast cell count too much so I made an 1800ml starter and left it on the stir plate for 3 days.

I actually rigged up a way to heat the chamber yesterday after work and now I'm sitting at about 71 degrees give or take. So I should start seeing activity in the air lock again soon, correct?

I did make a starter. I was concerned that the age of the yeast I used (about 40 days old from date of packaging) may have lowered the viable yeast cell count too much so I made an 1800ml starter and left it on the stir plate for 3 days.

I actually rigged up a way to heat the chamber yesterday after work and now I'm sitting at about 71 degrees give or take. So I should start seeing activity in the air lock again soon, correct?

Not necessarily...airlock activity is not a great indicator of fermentation. And FWIW, I have stopped using a stir plate becasue I got worse yeast performance than not using one. I now make a simple SNS starter the day before brewing and much prefer the results I get.

Does this really need a month in secondary? If so, what exactly is that accomplishing? If I got with my usual 2 weeks in primary to 2 weeks in the bottle, what am I going to be missing out on?

Thanks! Would love to try it but I don't have the patience for that kind of aging right now on my 4th batch of beer! ;)

Does this really need a month in secondary? If so, what exactly is that accomplishing? If I got with my usual 2 weeks in primary to 2 weeks in the bottle, what am I going to be missing out on?

Thanks! Would love to try it but I don't have the patience for that kind of aging right now on my 4th batch of beer! ;)

Hell no! Did I say that? If so, I've gotta correct it.

@Denny

I notice that the original recipe here calls for White Wheat Malt but I've seen a few versions of this on Brewers Friend, etc that use Flaked Wheat. What's the true recipe?

I've made it a few times now and love it. Though my next back will be the first I managed to get my hand on your yeast. So it will be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes.

Also, I'd like to get a little more Rye (spice) character into this. I'm thinking about bumping this a wee bit to maybe 20% Rye. Is there a better way to get the spicy rye character?

Thanks!

@Denny

I notice that the original recipe here calls for White Wheat Malt but I've seen a few versions of this on Brewers Friend, etc that use Flaked Wheat. What's the true recipe?

I've made it a few times now and love it. Though my next back will be the first I managed to get my hand on your yeast. So it will be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes.

Also, I'd like to get a little more Rye (spice) character into this. I'm thinking about bumping this a wee bit to maybe 20% Rye. Is there a better way to get the spicy rye character?

Thanks!

The true recipe is wheat malt, not flaked. Bumping up the rye is fine. For any of my recipes, if you want to be sure you have an accurate version, check at http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BeerRecipes

Made a version of this using all Weyermann Malt, and scaled for the Grainfather (experience of Rye and large grainbill on efficiency)

19l batch / 5USGal eff. 72%
OG 1.067
FG 1.015
IBU 74

4.5kg 69% Pale Malt (Weyermann)
1.2kg 18% Rye Malt (Weyermann)
480g 7% CaraMunich III (Weyermann)
180g 3% Carapils
180g 3% Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann)

30g Mt. Hood First wort 20.5IBU
25g Columbus @60min 37IBU
20g Mt. Hood @30min 9.5IBU
40g Mt. Hood Hopstand 20min 6.8IBU
25g Columbus Dry Hop 7days

60min Mash at 67C
Mash out and sparge at 75C

WY1450 (Denny's Favorite) 2L starter

It came out fantastic!!
IMG_6735.JPG

Gonna brew this up for the first time today. Got the starter ready yeasterday. I can't wait to try it. I'll post the results.
Cheers

What are the water recommendations? I use RO water and I see in the WIKI Denny likes sulfate level around 250ppm. What should the levels for the other ions be?
And is the 1 oz Columbus dry hop the consensus? Seems like I have seen 2 recommended.

Thanks

What are the water recommendations? I use RO water and I see in the WIKI Denny likes sulfate level around 250ppm. What should the levels for the other ions be?
And is the 1 oz Columbus dry hop the consensus? Seems like I have seen 2 recommended.

Thanks

Yeah, these days I do 2 oz. of dry hop Columbus

My well water is pretty neutral. The profile is Ca 34, Mg 7, Na 11, HCO3 90, SO4 57, and Cl 3. For this beer I just add a heaping tsp. of gypsum to that and call it good.

I followed the recipe perfectly.

Six weeks in the primary Including one week cold-crash.

It’s a great tasting, clear, beautifully colored beer. Oh and it tastes great too!!

Thanks Denny!

Glad you guys are enjoying it. I have a batch fermenting right now. I do about 4-5 days at 63F, 3 days at 70-72F, 4-5 days at 33F, then keg and dry hop.

Glad you guys are enjoying it. I have a batch fermenting right now. I do about 4-5 days at 63F, 3 days at 70-72F, 4-5 days at 33F, then keg and dry hop.
Hey Denny, you ever play around with different hops with this recipe?
I have a bag of rye malt to use up, so I was thinking of jacking up the rye a little and using something like Denali. I'm really just asking if you can recommend hops that might compliment the rye better than others.
Thanks for all you've done for homebrewing!
:mug:

I forgot to post this. Delicious. Thanks for the recipe

Attachments

• IMG_20190121_211146_716.jpg
    IMG_20190121_211146_716.jpg
    888 KB · Views: 96
I've been brewing for 23 years and took an IPA hiatus for the past 10...... just got burnt out when the IPA rage was in full swing. I brewed the occasional session hop bomb to placate my neighbors/friends, but haven't put much effort into an IPA for years. I bit the bullet and decided to try something a little different that wasn't citra-centric, or hazy/juicy, and found this recipe. Holy smokes! This is one of the best recipes I've brewed in quite some time. I can't quit drinking the stuff. The rye spice with Mt. Hood and Columbus is such an awesome combo. Dry hopped with 2 oz instead of 1 per Denny's later advice. Awesome recipe!

I've been brewing for 23 years and took an IPA hiatus for the past 10...... just got burnt out when the IPA rage was in full swing. Awesome recipe!

Agreed, it is an awesome recipe. But has the IPA rage stopped??? I see it has moved to NEIPA, but I don't see that is has declined at all.

I have to work the Rye IPA into my schedule.....

Agreed, it is an awesome recipe. But has the IPA rage stopped??? I see it has moved to NEIPA, but I don't see that is has declined at all.

I have to work the Rye IPA into my schedule.....

I didn't mean it was slowing, it just hit hyperdrive a decade or so ago and hasn't stopped since. I was on board from about 2006-2010, then I reclaimed my taste buds so I could enjoy other styles, mainly German lagers, Belgians, CAPs, and British ales. Super citrus hops aren't my favorite, so using Mt. Hood and Columbus was a welcome change to contemporary mainstream IPAs. Great recipe and highly recommended.

Back