Delayed boil after mashout and other questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidnightShift

Reaction score
I have just finished collecting all of my wort after mashing (biab). I am brewing Ed's haus pale ale. I was a little high on the mash temp (153) but I'm not too worried about that. I did not get the sparge water hot enough and sparged at 162. What happens if I didn't stop the conversion? Also, I will have to delay boiling the wort for a couple of hours, will this affect anything? The pre-boil gravity is a little high but I'm also short about a gallon of water. Should I add some more water? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The sparge water temp isn't going to hurt your beer. You might have a little lower efficiency, but the beer will be fine. Delaying boiling probably won't hurt your beer, but the longer you wait, the more chance there is that something will start growing in it. A couple of hours typically isn't going to cause issues. As for adding more water, many people will tell you that you should boil as close to the full brew amount as possible. So if you can add more water and boil it efficiently, you should. But, it won't hurt to do a partial boil either.

I plan on doing a full boil. I just didn't gather enough water. I think I will go with what I have, maybe add a quart of water, either way it's no big deal I guess. I guess I was just more concerned about the delay in the boil. Thanks, for your help.

Cool, I was more concerned with dms. But were half way through the boil, about to crack open a home brew and relax.
Thanks.

Back