Defective CO2 regulator how long until beer goes flat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja09

Reaction score
I have no CO2 and no pressure in the keg, how many days do I have before noticing a significant drop off in carbonation? The keg is mostly full.

Also, I'd like to thank Midwest for the defective regulator (I think?). When I received it, it was in open packaging, I'm guessing from a previous return. It's their double regulator, and one of them creeps up 2-3psi every so often. When I was lowing pressure the other day, there was CO2 coming out the screw in the regulator, then it stopped when it reached reg pressure. 2 days later it crept up to 15psi and the tank was empty.

This is going to be my 3rd CO2 tank in only my 4th beer kegged. I also have a ball lock lid from Midwest that started leaking out of a weld by the pressure relief valve. I guess kegging is not all unicorns and roses.

As long as you remove the gas connections and the keg seals properly, it will lose a small amount of carbonation as the pressure in the headspace equalizes, but then it will hold steady indefinitely. Once you get the tank refilled, submerge everything you can in water to check for leaks. Use a spray bottle of soapy water to check the connections you can't submerge.

Thanks Juan. I went to Midwest yesterday and they were kind enough to exchange my suspect regulator with a brand new one... then I came home opened the factory packaging and this is what I found. I can't catch a break. The gauge face is bent and the plastic case/cover/whatever you call it, is sticking out and won't snap back in.

New question.. does this matter or it just cosmetic? Does the gauge face pressurize/need to be sealed? (I wouldn't think so but I have no idea) Thought I'd ask before hooking it up. Thanks :mug:

(larger picture here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrp5krxnnbeug7f/2013-08-19%2020.12.45.jpg )

2013-08-19 20.12.33.jpg

2013-08-19 20.12.45.jpg

It's there to protect the needle and dial face. Doesn't need to be sealed. A bent/warped dial face can cause the needle to get stuck though. You should be able to easily pop the clear cover off and reinstall it properly. While it's open you can check and make sure the dial face doesn't interfere with the needle travel. Or you could just return it for one that's not jacked up.

Thanks Jaun. Not to keep bugging you or anything, but do you think this type of thing is just a small flaw, or would you be concerned enough to return it for a different one? It's a hassle for me to go there, but definitely worth it if I need to. Thanks again

As long as the needle can move freely, it's really just a cosmetic issue. That being said, the fact that it's damaged could be evidence that something happened to it that could have caused other issues, just like with anything else. How you decide to proceed is up to you, and depends on how much the peace of mind weighs against the hassle of another return.

I received one damaged like that from a different supplier. He simply shipped me a new gauge to replace the one with the bent dial. I did try to salvage the damaged one but found out that just straightening the dial didn't solve the problem. Whatever caused the dial to become bent also shifted the rack and pinion sufficiently for the gauge to move off zero only after 15 PSI was applied.

Thanks guys. Think I might just go exchange it. Piece of mind sounds nice right now after draining so many tanks

Back