Deer Park Distilled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
Hey all, anyone used deer park distilled water as a base for all-grain? Just got a bunch and noticed it says “for small appliances only”

Yes, will need brewing salts, etc depending on what is being brewed.
From What Is Distilled Water?

"All water -- no matter if it comes from a natural spring, artesian well, or regular tap -- may have trace but safe amounts of minerals, bacteria, pesticides, and other contaminants.

Distilling rids water of all those impurities. It also removes more than 99.9% of the minerals dissolved in water."

Thanks, yes - adding salts and such, just using distilled as a base. The “for appliances” thing tripped me out, but it sounds like no worries!!

Hey all, anyone used deer park distilled water as a base for all-grain? Just got a bunch and noticed it says “for small appliances only”
Distilled water is often reccomended for items like clothing irons, steam devices, etc. The lack of any minerals, etc. keep the appliance cleaner.
I assume they had to add the part for small appliances because some water company got sued for not having the warning label??

Have to laugh. One can never outguess marketing, but distilled water is distilled water no matter what the aspiring Madison Avenue types try to add to it.
Or mess with it - I don't think the "ideal for use in small appliances" means it's "industrial water" :D

Have to laugh. One can never outguess marketing, but distilled water is distilled water no matter what the aspiring Madison Avenue types try to add to it.
Or mess with it - I don't think the "ideal for use in small appliances" means it's "industrial water" :D
I agree- it's all silly... but i think this choice came from the lawyers, not the admen:
noticed it says “for small appliances only”
Probably some idiot was adding the water to big car batteries or the like and got hurt, so the water company got sued.

Searching around, I have not seen any labels with the word "only" but it does seem like Deer Park labels their Distilled Water with the idea that it is not intended for drinking. It could just be because something like their Spring Water would taste better, but a search does turn up some recommendations to not drink straight Distilled Water...that the lack of minerals means it will readily absorb minerals from other sources like containers and your teeth. Like this article: Can You Drink Distilled Water?

It would be perfectly fine for making beer, but I thought it was interesting. Brew on! :mug:

Well, that's a different aspect of the whole: I have a 100 gallon per day RO system that I installed primarily for brewing, but originally teed it to the kitchen fridge with the ice and cold water dispenser. Turns out, we very much prefer drinking our well water - which isn't all that great for brewing sans the RO machine. Go figure :D

Cheers!

Back