Deep fryer brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishplague

Reaction score
I work for a commercial kitchen supplier, we deal with all kinds of restaurant equipment. I was looking at a commercial deep fryer one day and thought "man, this might be good for brewing beer". Has anyone heard of someone actually doing this? or if it would be practical?

I was thinking for the mash, and the boil, If you had 2 of them of course. They are much more expensive than what you really need, but for someone with money to burn (unlike me) they would be pretty cool. Just a thought...

Commercial deep fryers get way too hot too fast. You can boil down water (filled to the top) in less then 5 minutes. I can't see it working too well.

Yeah, brewmaster you're probably right. The lowest temp setting is 200 on most of them, so it definately wouldn't be good for the mash. I tend to think of a homebrewing use for almost all the equipment we get in, it seems like brewing is on my mind all day!

Would one of these work if you could replace the temp controllerwith one calibrated for lower temps?

Would one of these work if you could replace the temp controllerwith one calibrated for lower temps?

Maybe in theory, but look at it from a practicality standpoint...they're expensive, you need at least two of them, and then you have to spend time and money to modify them. What's the point?

Hot oil systems are often used in certain areas of process heating, but my experience would say that it would be overkill for brewing. Oil is a good heat transfer medium, and there exist many different types of oils that are used for a multitude of situations, usually when you're interested in heating process fluids and a steam system of appropriate pressure doesn't exist or if you have a number of small users and you don't want to direct fire each of them. You could use a fryer for control of mash, kettle and water temps, but it seems dangerous to submerge your kettle in the fryer (boil over, as noted previously, could be a major fire hazard). The normal way to control a hot oil system is to keep the oil at a constant temp (fryer setting, I would assume) and then control the flow rate of oil to the vessel you would like to heat. You could jacket a the vessel, but that would be expensive, or wrap a coil around the outside, or submerge a coil on the inside (much as you would a wort chiller). In this case, it would probably be easier to pipe it up so that you circulate the wort or water through the fryer. I say this because it's safer this way for us home users. If you spring a hot oil leak, you could spray anyone near by with oil hotter than boiling water. I have no idea how the fryer would respond if you leaked wort into it. I'm assuming it wouldn't be happy and depending on the leakage rate, it could be just as dangerous. I would think the expensive part would be the pump(s), assuming you have a fryer lying around. I suppose the reason it isn't done is that it's just easier to direct fire and insulate, and not too many have a spare fryer lying around. I'll tell you, the more I write, the more I want to try this. Ok, I'm done nerding out.

Denny said:
Maybe in theory, but look at it from a practicality standpoint...they're expensive, you need at least two of them, and then you have to spend time and money to modify them. What's the point?

I think for most of us this is more of a mental exercise!

Why couldn't you use the fryer itself to do your boil? I wouldn't think the modification to the temp controller would be that expensive if you already had the fryer lying around. You could put a false bottom into it beneath the burners and then drain the wort using the oil drain, kind of like how a brew kettle with a false bottom and ball valve would work.

Again, I don't have the money to do this, but it is an interesting exercise to think about!

What difference would that make? I have 2 of them and mine are SS, but aluminum can be used for brewing.

I did not know aluminum could be used. I don't see it every used in the industry even though it is quite a bit cheaper so i figured there must be a good reason. Perhaps I am mistaken.

The current kettle I use is a 5gal aluminum kettle I found for $3 at a thrift store! lol...

I also work in food equipment sales and service. I too was looking at a fryer and thinking it was a perfect boiling vessel. I don't really see the downside, beyond the fact that not everyone can afford one. In my business, I get them used all the time. They are basically free to me. I can see the thermostat problem, where the lowest temp a fryer can go is 200 degrees F. New thermostats are cheap, like someone had previously mentioned if you already have the fryer, then a new tstat is cheap. So I guess I'm wondering if there really is a downside? If the fryer was spotless and oil free where would the problems lie? I see the advantage of boiling my wort in about 5 minutes compared to 30-40 on a turkey fryer burner. and there is a drain valve pitched at the bottom of the tank, a certain bonus. someone mentioned a false bottom, another great idea. I would really like to know if anyone had actually tried this method, or are we all just making assumptions? For those who brew extract, you would only need one fryer. of course, all grain you would need two...they make double pot fryers....maybe my engineering is getting the best of me, but someone legitimately show me that it shouldn't be done!

Back