Decoction...should I use with porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decoction or batch sparge?

• Be boring and do the batch sparge...you are fat and lazy so you would like this better

• Go for the decoction!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do a lot of people use a decoction mash with their prters to produce the mellanoiden characters? I thought it would fit well if a dark roasty style. What do you guys think? Should I just do a normal batch sparge or singal decoction?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Burly Robust Porter
Brewer: John Anderson
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 33.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.31 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.17 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.72 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.5 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
2 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

W/ the malts out there today and the stuff you have available use 2 row malt and skip the decoction. If you want to do a decoction do an Alt or something like it.
JJ

W/ the malts out there today and the stuff you have available use 2 row malt and skip the decoction. If you want to do a decoction do an Alt or something like it.
JJ
I'm with Jaybird on this one. For a Porter I don't think it would make a difference.

Decoction isn't really appropriate for a Porter. I know as homebrewers we all like to do things a bit differently, but why go to all the trouble if it's not going to have a positive affect on the outcome of your beer.

I don't think you'll notice any character from the decoction in the final product because the roasted flavours will be so strong, but I voted for decoction anyway. You can always use one for your mash out!

Why on earth would you want to do a decoction in a porter?

Save complications for when they're necessary. That should be on a plaque in every brewery, no matter the size, from Anheuser/Busch to the smallest femto-brewery in a corner of the kitchen:

AVOID NEEDLESS COMPLICATION.

or, if you're a complete pedant (like me):

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem, which is, loosely, "Do not multiply entities beyond that which is necessary."

Occam's Razor FTW! :D

In terms specific to your question, is there something lacking in your current porter recipe or procedure that a decoction might solve? If yes, and you know the decoction will solve it,* then get down wit yo bad self. If your recipe is perfectly fine and you think the decoction process might be entertaining, again, get down wit yo bad self (but I suggest an interesting TV programme like House). But for the life of me I can't see a decoction as entertaining, or even an interesting diversion. Decoction is an easy-to-screw-up, messy PITA.

Maybe that's just me!

Cheers,

Bob

* If you need a decoction to solve it, add Melanoidin malt to your mash in quarter-pound increments until you get the right flavor. AND DO AN INFUSION MASH. ;)

I'll decoct a Hefe, a Weizenbock, a Roggenbier, and Alt or a Dunkel... that's about it. I only do that because they're German beers and well damnit, that's how German beers are supposed to be done :D

I see no need or benefit to decocting a porter.

I don't know if I want decoction-style melanoidins in a porter. Munich malt can be pretty dadgum tasty in a porter or stout, but not the sort of character that comes from decoction. Now that I say that, though, I remember having a very tasty, decocted Southern Brown before.

Give it a shot if you like, and see what you think.

TL

I probably wouldnt, as I dont see the real benifit other than to see what would happen. The only beers Ive made that I have used decoction would be a brown that I made and an Oktoborfest. I probably wouldnt do it for the brown again, just because the hassle outweighs the benefit.

If you're comfortable doing decoctions then why not? I don't think a porter needs to be decocted though and in fact, from what I read it could be detrimental to a brew doing a 3 step decoction with highly modified malt.(according to Noonan anyway , I'll take his word on that) I'd do 1 mash-out decoction if any...Who knows your beer may end up having that certain quality and hard to finger goodness of what the French call, "I don't know what". :drunk:

i voted for the decoction. i've only decocted once but it produced the creamiest, richest, best-mouthfeel i've ever had in a beer. at least i think it was the decoction that did it. ive used carapils, flaked barley and oats in previous batches and none provided the smooth creaminess of the decocted beer. i say go for it.

ps. the decoction i did was a single-step decoction with a protein rest.

Back