Deciding on Initial Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmapp

Reaction score
Like many others, I too am going to be partaking in this great hobby following Christmas. However, I have not gotten any equipment yet. I received the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer after seeing countless recommendations for it. At first I thought that the NB Basic Starter would be perfect. However with all of the reading I've done of other homebrew resources and especially here, I'm starting to think about their Deluxe Starter for some of the extras it comes with and I feel like I would want/need a secondary at some point.

My problem is I think my ideal setup to start would be having the buckets from the Basic Starter, while also having a secondary (better bottle), and all of the extras from the Deluxe. My thought being that the buckets will be easier to clean/sanitize throughout, and if some brews aren't in need of a secondary then I won't worry so much about if I cleaned/sanitized the carboy sufficiently.

In some of the threads I've come across on here, some seem to not even use a secondary (even for some of the styles many say one is "needed" such as IPAs). Also there are those that are pro-carboy or pro-bucket, I'm aware of the pros and cons of each, so does that ultimately come down to my personal preference?

Also, I've mainly been looking at NB and Midwest in terms of the kits, are there any others that come highly recommended? Or should I go with a basic setup, and then buy the other pieces individually?

Thanks for your help, and I can't wait to get going with my first brew.

In some of the threads I've come across on here, some seem to not even use a secondary (even for some of the styles many say one is "needed" such as IPAs). Also there are those that are pro-carboy or pro-bucket, I'm aware of the pros and cons of each, so does that ultimately come down to my personal preference?

I use mostly buckets and they have worked great for me for over 5 years. It is about personal preference though if you know the pros and cons you should be able to make a good decision that works best for you.

Also, I've mainly been looking at NB and Midwest in terms of the kits, are there any others that come highly recommended? Or should I go with a basic setup, and then buy the other pieces individually?

you could go either way as far as basic or the whole deluxe kit. To me it seems that the deluxe kit just has the carboys instead of the buckets and not much else. Its also twice the price. For me that would be not worth it but that depends on weather you plan on going with buckets or the carboys. In my opinion you should go basic and add extras from there just my 2 cents hope it helps!

It really depends on what you want to do starting out. I picked up the Midwest basic kit using a Groupon last year. I also went ahead and invested in a turkey fryer and immersion chiller because I knew my electric stovetop was going to be worthless.mi also knew I'd prefer to brew outside. I muddled through the first brew day with a standard siphon. I don't recommend trying to do that. Go ahead and spend the extra $12 on an autosiphon. It's the only "extra" I would strongly recommend picking up right away. Well, that and a test tube for the hydrometer. My kit did not include one. Thankfully, I have a couple of homebrew shops nearby where I can pick up some necessary items.

Okay, that was a bit rambly. In summary, start with the basic kit and get what you need as you progress. If you're doing partial boils in your kitchen, you don't really need a lot of extras. Acquiring knowledge is far more important than acquiring equipment early on.

I primary and secondary (when I secondary) in buckets, so I personally would go basic and buy extras. Anything you want from the deluxe kit will be available separately, as will extra buckets if you want to secondary. But it is all personal preference.

I'd have to agree that the basic kit from Midwest would be the best buy. Then get a bottling wand,auto siphon,& a 5 gallon (20 quart) stainless steel brew kettle. You can add on from there as you figure out what you need to make the job easier. $65 for that basic kit is a good deal.

These guys are right that you want an autosiphon, but I read both of those kits in your links to come with one. If not, get one. Probably had a bottling wand, too, but if not you'll want one.

Or in my case, three. Stupid gnomes.

Time to grab the .22 carbine & go gnome huntin. Sticky fingered lil bastards...they took my Duke Nukem Forever disc & hid it in the Rambo blue ray collection. Sneaky lil pricks,aren't they?!

Yeah I may go with the Midwest option that comes with the Better Bottle. I get the Better Bottle and Autosiphon for 25 bucks more. The $10 or so saved this way will pay for the wine thief. And that way I'm ready for the future.

You can also keep an eye on the local stores,I did & got;
4 nested ss stock pots with lids & steamer trays polished for $25 at Giant Eagle.
Dollar tree netted me 3 nested measuring cups,tongs,measuring spoons,funnels,& spray bottles for a buck each.
Buying beer in those sturdy new style (to me anyway) 12 pack boxes with pop top bottles. They make for a small stack of bottles next to the fermenter stand.
I save the 1 gallon Sunny D jugs that are sturdier than milk jugs fpr PBW & starsan solutions.
And half gallon plastic jugs from cheap vodka for blow off jugs work great.
Digital scale from super walmart for $20 to measure hops,grains,priming sugar,etc.
Just a few suggestions that should get your head in the right place...:mug:

I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye out for deals and stuff like that. To start though (since I'm chomping at the bit to start) I'm going to get what I can just to get going. I can already envision some things I'd want to get or make. First thing I could see me trying to get together would be make my own immersion wort chiller. But I will be sure to keep my eye out for any budget buys.

One question I have is what is a blowoff jug? Is it a step up from a standard airlock?

Many of us use a blow off rig for the initial,vigorous fermentation the first few days. You fit a tube to the airlock grommet,then run that into a jug about 1/3 full of water to which a splash of starsan has been added. Saves the mess on the walls & ceiling when the airlock blows during said vigorous fermentation stage. It can move more co2 than an airlock during the 1st few days.

Saving mess sounds like a good thing to me! Would the tubing be like autosiphon tubing or tubing that fits the size of the airlock grommet (not sure if equal sizes or not). Then run that into the vodka bottle? And would it be able to just set on the top of the bucket or on the ground? Finally is a good seal needed for the end that is in the bottle, or as long as the tube is submerged in the starsan mix, it should be fine?

unionrdr said:
Saves the mess on the walls & ceiling when the airlock blows during said vigorous fermentation stage.

Not to scare the new brewer, not every beer get that vigorous and not every fermentation needs a blowoff tube. Don't want you to think you're making bombs or anything.

But, since you never know which fermentation may be vigorous, better safe than sorry.

Not to scare the new brewer, not every beer get that vigorous and not every fermentation needs a blowoff tube. Don't want you to think you're making bombs or anything.

But, since you never know which fermentation may be vigorous, better safe than sorry.

Oh I'm sure that not every beer will have a crazy fermentation that needs a blowoff tube. But considering I'm not 100% sure where I'll be able to set up shop, and that I wouldn't want to clean up if I don't have to, having something more than I would need is a nice safety valve. :D

I have alarge,old printer stand next to the comp hutch that the FV's sit on. So the blow off jug sits on the top of it next to the fermenter. The tube is 3/8" that goes down near the bottom of the jug. That'll stay in place all by itself. I had an old "S" type airlock I cut the end off of. The end that goes in the grommet,about 1.5" long. I trimmed the cut end to fit inside the other end of the 3/8" tube to fit the airlock grommet. I used a Dremel with a cut off bit to make it.
And since many use yeast starters,or re-hydrate their yeast,they can get going PDQ! So it's safe to start with a blow off rig than not use it & need it the next morning.
The first time you're trying to sleep,& hear a Woiiink,& see a shizz splatter on the ceiling & walls,you'll know what to do. *ok,ok,a little Duke Nukem reference,but it fit.*

I use 1.25 inch OD, 1 inch ID vinyl tubing from home improvement center. Fits tightly in 5 gallon carboy. I usually push it to below the neck of carboy then wrap seam between bottle and tubing with Saran wrap although the cling wrap is probably unnecessary.

Shop well for a kit. I.e. Labelpeelers.com will beat any price on the same kit. And as mentioned, dollar stores, Wallyworld, and others can have great finds for all those little knick knack tools you'll want. Home Depot served me well for tubing and cheap little fittings for making my mash tun. (if going to all grain)

Good thing you spoke up. I forgot about getting tubing,etc at home cheapo,FIY,or blowe's. I do that as well,hence my sig...

Back