Decided on a porter- spice it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massappeal120

Reaction score
West Valley/salt Lake utah (yeah I know our alcoho
well thanks for all the suggestions, i decided on a porter and went and bought a kit from my local shop. hopefully this one turns out better than my pale ale (not that it is bad just not really good). If not then I will have to ditch the kits completely and just figure this all out. My porter kit consits of:

6lb of liquid malt
2 kinds of dry grains (not labled) both have some darker choclatey aromas. one dark in color one medium-light.
a package of northern brewer hops pellets (alpha 7.8%)
a package of fuggle freeze dried hops (4.5 % alpha)
White Labs London Ale yeast.

The worker at the shop suggested maybe adding some spices to give this a lil extra thanks giving pazazz. Any suggestions? Im thinkin cinnamon stick and cloves? I dunno though. I like my beer to taste like beer so I dont wanna fancy it up too much., Just something nice and suttle. so yea any help in this area would be saweeeet. onelove.

Hey maybe add some coffee, if you like that and are a coffee drinker. I'm contemplating adding some to my porter as well.

Sounds like you're still new to brewing (if not you can disregard) but if that is the case I would keep it simple and stick to the recipe. Besides, there's nothing like a nice porter when you want a dark beer. :) If you like the kit you can always make another batch and try experimenting with spices, best to know what the base beer tastes like first though.

Ginseng and ginger both (use one or the other) work extremely well in porters. I wouldn't use more than 1/2 ounce of either.

Back