Deal on Kegerator???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I found a full size (1/2 barrel i guess) kegerator on CL for $150. includes CO2 bottle & reg(broken) and a tower tap. She says dimentions are 24 x 24 x 36(h).
Is this a good deal?
how many cornys can i fit?

2-3 cornies, modifying the tower can mean swapping it out and replacing it or drilling it and adding another tap... Seems like an okay deal, the regulator will run you 40-80 depending on how many regulators you want. If push comes to shove you can drill the side and put the CO2 on the outside, that .

Depends what model and how old it is as well.. I've heard some lousy things about the one that Home Depot was selling, maybe someone who knows more will chime in.

When it comes to kegerators, 150 isnt a bad price.

I say its a good deal. Fridge alone is worth close to that (considering the size).

It will hold 3 kegs minimum, 4 max. I have a friend with a 'real' kegerator that he holds 3 in. It could hold four if he modified it a bit and put the co2 outside. It has one corner thats too low.

2-3 cornies, modifying the tower can mean swapping it out and replacing it or drilling it and adding another tap... Seems like an okay deal, the regulator will run you 40-80 depending on how many regulators you want. If push comes to shove you can drill the side and put the CO2 on the outside, that .

Depends what model and how old it is as well.. I've heard some lousy things about the one that Home Depot was selling, maybe someone who knows more will chime in.

When it comes to kegerators, 150 isnt a bad price.

Well, the reg might work, she says "1 guage is broken". I'm going to swap the tap for a double tower anyway, CO2 looks like a 5lb bottle.

Well, I pulled the trigger on it! It's a little more beat up than I'd like, but it's going under my bar out of sight. I'm sure the Wife will go eeeeeeewwwwwww! Why did you buy that! But, I'll clean it up before she can really see how gross it is. I tested the temp, told the lady to plug it in 1 hr before i got there, was at 30F. not bad. I don't think they did the old fill with freon just before i got there or anything....you'd think they'd wipe it down with a rag if that was the case.. The regulator looks like it works, just one guage is smashed. Tried to talk them down all i could do was $145 though. from the original $200 is not too bad. Hopefully it lasts!

Gauges are cheap to replace. If it's the low pressure gauge, (usually on top, reads 0-60 PSI or something), you want a new one. If it's the high pressure gauge, (on the side, reads 0-1000+ PSI), then that one is useless anyway...I wouldn't even worry about replacing unless it leaks, but I think they are like 8 bucks if you do wanna replace it.

Hey, thats a great one! The fugly ones with old wooden doors? You can probably get 4 cornies and maybe a co2 in there, check before you order a tower.

As for a reg, if its the tank pressure one that is broken, dont worry about replacing it. They're basically worthless (honest, they 'drop' seconds before it runs out.) If it is the one that tells you the output pressure, replace it for sure.

Enjoy!

Back