Dead yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you ever received dead yeast?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GPP33

Reaction score
last night I built a starter for a brew I’m doing on Sunday. It’s a big one so I was planning on stepping it up today. When I checked on it this morning nothing had changed. Gravity is the same, no Krausen and when I turn off the stir plate no yeast settles. This is the second time this has happened to me. I’m about to write off either White Labs or the LHBS I bought both of the dead packs from.

I’m interested in how many people have had a dead yeast pack, if it was white labs or Wyeast and if you got it mail order or at your LHBS.

i would use safe ale any kind.it says safe and it is.

maybe a little more sugar too?i got dead batches from 2 tablespoons not enough sugar.

wyeast makes a fake grain malt.

No, and I typically have yeast shipped to me in Ohio.
I do keep dry yeast on hand just in case.

maybe a little more sugar too?i got dead batches from 2 tablespoons not enough sugar.

wyeast makes a fake grain malt.
What?

I've had a vial of white labs "not start". I'm not sure if the yeast was dead, or if I tried to warm it up too quickly and shocked the suckers.

I mostly use wyeast now because I like seeing the smack pack swell before pitching into the starter. Gives me a little piece of mind that the yeasts are probably ok.

Another thing worth noting is that both of the dead yeast packs were pretty dark, not sure if that's a sign of dead yeast or not. The new one I picked up was a nice off white creamy color and if performed as expected.

Starter was built using light DME at a ratio of 100g/liter. Gravity sample taken on the dead lot was about 1.038.

They were in date? I would definitely try to get some kind of reparation from the LHBS. If that doesn't work then try White Labs directly.

Package date was mid July, so yes, fresh. LHBS hooked me up with another one both times so no money out of pocket but frustrating none the less.

Latest posts

Back