de-gassing help ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I have a 1 gal batch of apple cider after ferment I racked it off to a clean 1 gal
carboy it's sat for 3 weeks crystal clear and there was no sediment on the bottom.
yesterday I bought a little hand pump for de-gassing from my LHBS so I tried it out on my batch of cider it worked,I saw bubbles of gas come out of no where
today I looked at my cider and it's cloudy to the point that you can't see through it
what did I do? my thought is that it may have started to ferment again.
anybody?

strange that it was clear and went cloudy? I would normally have thought it waspectic haze from unfiltered juice which will probably settle out given enough time, but we are talking like 2 or 3 months, or use pectic enzyme.

Probably not fermenting again, probably...

I didn't think it would be fermenting again but thats what it looks like to me.
I don't know much about oxidization but I wonder if after the gas came out and I released the vacuum, that it absorbed the air that went in the bottle causing it to oxidize but I don't know if it happens that fast

No it wont happen overnight, more that you taste it in a few weeks and its turning, then months later its ruined.

Im going with pectic haze for now ;)

it came from suspended bubbles in the solution from fermentation. if you couldnt see the bubble before you did it, then they were just too small to see, but they are there, possibly just disolved in solution. then when you applied a vacuum, they rushed to the vacuum point and entrained any floating caca and just mixed it with the rest. im discovering that most of secondary fermenting, is just letting as much caca settle to the bottom, and it sounds like you just sucked it back into your stuff

edit: here is another way to look at it... if you get a soda, and get it really cold and open it, it wont fizz a lot when you open it. get the same soda and let it warm up, you will get a huge fizz, possibly a bubble over. identical effect when you drop the pressure from a vacuum. i think this is boyle's law.

I hope that's right, but it never went cloudy until the next day and there was no visible sediment on the bottom of the carboy.
it's really strange because I have a 1 gal of a fruit punch wine beside it that was also clear with no sediment on the bottom and I de-gassed it too and it's fine.

Back