DC Group Buy #20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toasted wheat: I will ask.
Milled grains: I will ask.

Apologies for the cone of silence. Really swamped at work and home...first time I have logged into HBT in like 2 weeks! Doh!!

I think we are at the point we can order, so if you want to close out some splits, now is the time to do so!!

Available Product Description
0lb Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb
0lb Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
0lb Muntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 Lb
0lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
0lb Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb
0lb Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 50 Lb
0lb Briess 2-Row Carapils 50 lb
0lb Flaked Oats 50 lb
10lb Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
25lb Schill Cologne (Kolsch) 55 lb
25lb Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb
20lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
25lb Weyermann Vienna 55 lb
30lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
25lb Flaked Barley (Unmalted) 50 lb
25lb Briess 2-Row Chocolate 50 lb
35lb Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
30lb PBW 50 lb
35lb Weyermann Munich Type 1 55 lb
30lb Briess Victory 50 lb
35lb Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag
45lb Weyermann CARAHELL 55 lb
45lb Crisp Brown 55 lb
40lb Briess Midnight Wheat Malt 50 Lb
45lb Weyermann CARAFA Special Type 3 (dehusked) 55 lb
50lb Weyermann CARAMUNICH Type 1 55 lb

Any chance a forum newbie can get in on this? I'm just outside the beltway in Virginia.

I've placed an order. The carafoam split is closed out and we're a little closer on the PBW split. Thanks!

OK, I think we are going to close this down FRI at midnight. Please start sending in your payment...an email will go out tonight with details.

This is the current state of splits:

0lb Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
0lb Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb
0lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
0lb Flaked Oats 50 lb
15lb PBW 50 lb
25lb Schill Cologne (Kolsch) 55 lb
25lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
30lb Briess Midnight Wheat Malt 50 Lb
35lb Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
35lb Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag
35lb Weyermann Pale Rye 55 lb
40lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
45lb Crisp Brown 55 lb

With the possible exception of PBW, I don't hold a lot of hope that any of the other 25# plus splits will close in the next week...not saying it won't but people will really have to finish strong to make that happen.

Tentatively looking at SEPT 16 for the pickup...

Payment sent for everything except my portion of the PBW split that hasn't yet closed. Will send that if/when it does close.

I'm free to help out on the 16th. I don't yet have a grain scale, though.

Paid.

I should be able to help on the 16th. I don't have suitable scale either.

I will contact the bucket rescue league.

Since this buy is about to close, I am going to make a last minute desperation pitch for the acidulated malt. It's my go-to option for controlling mash pH for almost all my brews since I don't brew a lot of beers darker than SRM 6 or 7 besides the occasional Scharzbier or Doppelbock. It's super simple to use, I typically just use between 3 and 6 ounces per mash (5.5 gallon batch) and for me, it beats measuring out lactic acid (which is blasphemy anyways since it breaks the rules of the Reinheitsgebot). If you need more convincing to get in on the acidulated malt split, I don't know about your LHBS but at mine it is the most expensive malt, so 5lbs from the group buy split is a steal!

Also, if you want to make an awesome Koelsch, grab some of the Koelsch malt split!

Cheers!

I'll pony up after the splits are closed or killed off. No need to do so until the dust settles. Look forward to catching up with everyone.

I don't seem to have any of the newest sheets on my Google Drive since Group Buy 18 but I'll take the rest of that White Wheat Split.

I can also take 5lb of the PBW if it closes.

Any one able to pick up my grain for me, can't make it on the 16th. I live on MD eastern shore, just across the bay bridge.

This is my first group buy since #18, and I gotta say, the new website is SLICK! Well done guys!

Closed out that Kolsch malt split, and added a sack to the pile. Good stuff!

@nick_a - peter78 did all the work on the website and gets ALL praise for it. He did a wonderful job!

0lb Schill Cologne (Kolsch) 55 lb
0lb Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
0lb Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb
0lb Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
0lb Flaked Oats 50 lb
15lb PBW 50 lb
25lb Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
35lb Weyermann Pale Rye 55 lb
40lb Weyermann Acidulated 55 lb
40lb Briess Midnight Wheat Malt 50 Lb
50lb Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
50lb Rice Hulls 50 lb Bag
55lb Crisp Brown 55 lb

Thanks to everyone that has paid so far. I will start updating the website tomorrow with who has paid so don't panic if the paid column still says No.

Cheers!
T

Closed out the Vienna split, and paid.

Unrelated but curious how difficult was the Cherry Adam from the Wood Clone stonebrewer? I'm finishing off my Consecration clone, and looking for another project beer.

Closed out the Vienna split, and paid.

Unrelated but curious how difficult was the Cherry Adam from the Wood Clone stonebrewer? I'm finishing off my Consecration clone, and looking for another project beer.

Great question. The Adam was fantastic. The CAFTW is still in progress. It was not difficult, but I have also not tasted it. I have 2 gallons on the wood and the cherries right now. Hope it will be fantastic as the original certainly was!

T

Anyone want to help close out the PBW? I just took another 5 lbs, there are 10 lbs left.

I will be at sea on the pick up date. George Decoste will be picking up my order.

I'm glad that the PBW split closed. I'll be set for cleaning for a long time now. Payment sent.

Great question. The Adam was fantastic. The CAFTW is still in progress. It was not difficult, but I have also not tasted it. I have 2 gallons on the wood and the cherries right now. Hope it will be fantastic as the original certainly was!

T

What recipe did you use? I haven't done a big barleywine/old ale in awhile and think this might be my next.

The following splits closed by the deadline:

Product Description
Schill Cologne (Kolsch) 55 lb
Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb
Weyermann CARAFOAM 55 lb
Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 55 lb
Avangard Malz Premium Dark Munich 55 Lb
Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb
Muntons Maris Otter Malt Blend 55 Lb
Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb
Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 50 Lb
PBW 50 lb
Briess 2-Row Carapils 50 lb
Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
Flaked Oats 50 lb
Weyermann Vienna 55 lb
Briess White Wheat Malt 50 Lb

What recipe did you use? I haven't done a big barleywine/old ale in awhile and think this might be my next.

The one from Alan Sprints himself, scaled down to my rig size of course. 31# of grain for a five gallon batch! The longer it ages, the better it gets. Starts out hot after 2 months, but by 4 it is very smooth. Want to keep some around longer, but it is hard not to hit that tap every time I have a beer or two!

EDIT: The recipe can be found online here: https://chefs-table.homebrewchef.com/homebrew-recipes/hair-dog-adam-bier-recipe/

This is for 10 gallons, which I would love to brew, but it is 62 pounds of grain and I cannot handle that with my rig. I may do a double batch one day though...mash, drain, mash anew. 3 hour boil and huge slug of yeast are key to making this right!

Back