DC Area Group Grain Buy #24

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclardass

Reaction score
Alright gents, new buy and new rules so please familiarize yourself and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

*** Please review the information below to save both you and me a lot of headaches. This information is a rewrite of Tony's old rules with things I learned from him and from the last buy. We’re all adults here and I’d like to think you’ll understand these changes are needed to keep these buys going. This will also help maintain my sanity (and marriage) and hopefully not turn off long-time buyers. Realize these buys are Peter and me donating time and 3 Stars being generous to order and host, please be considerate to all of us. ***

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area including MD and Northern VA.

We are using a new site courtesy of Peter78 and need both testers and patience. The new site will require you have a new login and password and may still have a few kinks to work out. For those familiar with the ordering process, however, you should feel right at home.

* The buy takes place 3-4 times per year and a new thread is posted each time we start a new round of purchasing. The buy makes use of a website for ordering and you must first obtain a login by PM’ing me your Real Name, Email Address, and Cell Number. I will setup the account and you will then receive a password reset email. Once you set your password you will be able to log in to the site. Your information will be kept strictly private and not shared with anyone inside or outside the buy. By establishing an account you agree to the rules (terms) detailed in this post.

* We allow splitting of sacks but please confirm that a split has closed before paying for it. Not all splits close and those items will not be ordered.

* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay me at the personal email address I send to you when the buy is over. Do not use the email address you receive password or list messages from! Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. If you are not familiar with PayPal make sure you acquaint yourself before the end of the buy as it does take some time to setup.

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC and always on a Saturday from 1100-noon. You MUST pick up your grain on that day during that time or have someone do it for you, NO exceptions! If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let me know who is picking up your grain, NO exceptions!

* If you fail to pick up your grains, or make arrangements for others to pick up your grains, you are solely responsible for your grains at this point! Failure to pickup your grains after one week from the original pickup date will result in you forfeiting YOUR GRAINS AND forfeiting YOUR FULL PAYMENT. I know this was considered in the past but it only takes one bad apple to ruin this for everyone. Repeat offenders to this rule will be BANNED from future group buys.

* The pickup will occur three weeks after the buy closes. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars multiple chances to order and should greatly increase the chance of getting the entire order. In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up. Be forewarned that this can happen although the three-week ordering window should help minimize this.

* The prices posted on the ordering website are not to be shared outside this group. Do not post prices in the forum.

* This forum is used to communicate the details of the buy and splits that are currently available.

* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask. They can however sell cans, please patronize them as they help us out a lot!

* The brewery also has a small homebrew store, please snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

* Finally, we always need help with the buy. Please collect plastic grocery bags and donate them to the cause each time you participate. We need 3-4 sets of scales and we need about 6-8 people to come early and help split sacks (10AM). We label every sack, so make sure your name is on it before taking something and please always check in and out with me.

Hi everyone,

We have a new website. Every functionality from the old one has been rewritten.

Please verify that the order you have matches the total you have and the order you have matches full sacks and splits. Any discrepancy, feel free to contact me, or Joe. There is no stupid discrepancy to bring up. You see something, please say something. Feel free to contact me, or post in this thread. It is very important that we all keep an eye on our orders this first time as it is the first time using the new website. All the logic has been rewritten and nothing has been transferred from the previous group buy. It is for the best of all of us and Joe’s sanity.

Anything technical with the website, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers!

peter78

Last edited:
Our group buy patrons, 3 Stars, are participating in Big Brew Day this year and details are on their Facebook page. Show your support!

I tried out the new site and I even started a split: Melanoid

I didn't take much of it as 5# of Melanoid will last me 2-3 years.

We are trudging, trudging, trudging to the next buy.. Hope everyone is enjoying the late Spring/soon Summer and getting their brew on. Just want to ask for patience as we onboard brewers on the new website and slowly put together the next order. I'm still swimming in grains and assume many brewers from the last order still have plenty of ingredients.

Spread the word, though, always happy to have new members. Happy Father's Day to the parents out there and sláinte!

Tossed a few sacks on and grabbed some of the veinna & rye splits. Opened a Wheat malt split if anyone needs some.

I've reached out to 3 Stars about cleaning products, particularly PBW and StarSan, as those were available on previous buys. This is definitely the slowest buy ever, thanks again everyone for your patience! :mug:

Yep, this is without a doubt the slowest it's ever been but I won't take it personally :)

We've had some more of the ol' regulars reach out for new accounts, at least. I'm afraid the last order was so large that brewers are still working through their inventory. I haven't been able to brew much this summer myself so still have quite a bit of base malts. That being said, hoping things pick up so those truly in need can get to brewing sooner than later.

While I'm here, I have been trading emails with Harmony at 3 Stars and, thanks to her diligence, we should be getting cleaning products back on the order. Should be added shortly, just waiting on final pricing.

Thanks again to everyone for being patient, raising a pint to ye' all. Sláinte!

Added cleaning supplies to Full Sacks. You’ll find them at the end of the table.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone....it's been a while but I am getting back into it again. Will prob grab some grain this group buy, do we have a date in mind or just depends on when the buy fills up?

I don't want to keep everyone waiting on the order to hit a pallet, or some magic number of sacks, but we are currently only at 7 full sacks. For comparison, the last buy was 49 sacks (a pallet is 40) with 19 brewers participating. 3 Stars will order whatever we ask, regardless of quantity, but I'd like to make it worth everyone's time to meet and pick up. I'm open to suggestions about when we should call it.

Last edited:
I just closed the Wey Munich I split by grabbing the last 30#.
Also started a new split of Wey Vienna. 25# left to go.

Yay, we're finally picking up momentum! I'm heading off to Oktoberfest so will be in a beer tent for the next two weeks. Assuming I make it back/want to come back, I'll likely submit the order mid-October. Will see how the splits look but I'm thinking pickup on Oct 26th, how does that look for the group?

Yay, we're finally picking up momentum! I'm heading off to Oktoberfest so will be in a beer tent for the next two weeks. Assuming I make it back/want to come back, I'll likely submit the order mid-October. Will see how the splits look but I'm thinking pickup on Oct 26th, how does that look for the group?
Oct. 26 for pickup sounds good. Or some later date in November.
Are we aiming for xx number of sacks to make it worth our while?

If possible, scratch Nov. 2 off, BAM Craft beer fest in Canton.

That works great! I’ll be looking at empty buckets right around then.

I need some action on the flaked corn split. I make a great cream ale with it. I know the summer is gone, but I like keeping a light session beer year round...

Good news about the grain buy. I'm not available Nov 9th but can help Oct 19, 26 or Nov 2

Enjoy Munich. I've been several times but never for Oktoberfest.

Curious, how much are you guys selling a sack of 2 row for? I ask because I get mine for about a $1 a pound at MDHB. That seems like a good price to me.
Thanks

Is anyone else the gate keeper here besides mclardass? I understand he is out for a bit and I wanted to get in on this buy. Thanks guys! S-

Is anyone else the gate keeper here besides mclardass? I understand he is out for a bit and I wanted to get in on this buy. Thanks guys! S-

Can you please PM me your name, email and phone number for that. I will sign you up and forward them to Joe.

I'm back and will coordinate with 3 Stars on a good pickup date. Realistically, it will likely be an early-mid November pickup so accept my apologies in advance. For newcomers, once the order is finalized and placed with 3 Stars we give it 2-3 weeks to be fulfilled. This provides lead time for most grains to be delivered and reduces the instance of missing sacks.

Thanks for the update on the timeline. I picked up some more of the C60 to try and move that closer to closing.

Thanks everyone for working on splits, hopefully we can close out a few more and get this order placed. For pickup, Nov 2nd is out as the brewery is hosting a wedding. I'm waiting to hear about other dates, 3 Stars suggested Sundays but unsure we want to change the routine.

I was looking for Oat Malt. I found this in our database:
111 1889C MALTED OATS 55 LB

[Edits, removed the questions]

I found it, it's supplied by LD Carlson:
1889C MALTED OATS 55 LB BAG
Malster is Sugar Creek:
Sugar Creek - Oat Malt 55#_320.jpg

Interesting Observation: "Indiana grown."
I had never heard of them before.

If anyone is interested in a split of this sack let me know. I'll take at least half.
Provided, we can get it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for working on splits, hopefully we can close out a few more and get this order placed. For pickup, Nov 2nd is out as the brewery is hosting a wedding. I'm waiting to hear about other dates, 3 Stars suggested Sundays but unsure we want to change the routine.

FWIW, I'm available from Sat. Nov 16 on.
Nov 2 and 9 are booked for important "business."

Sundays are not a bad alternative, I'd be in for it.
We understand they may not be an option for everyone. But are they any worse than Saturdays?
Just sayin'.

Back