DC Area Group Grain Buy #23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, let's start wrapping this one up. Going forward we'll take more time to close out splits but I want to get this order in next week.

Open Splits
Briess CBW Golden Light Dry - 10lb Open
Dingemans Biscuit (Mr 50) - 30lb Open
PBW - 35lb Open
Briess Victory - 40lb Open
Weyermann Acidulated - 40lb Open
Briess Chocolate Malt - 40lb Open
Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L - 40lb Open
Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L - 45lb Open
Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat - 50lb Open

Will be calling for payments this weekend unless something comes up. Quoting Tony: "PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay me at the personal email address I send to you via email when the buy is over. Do not use the email address the server uses! Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are."

I may take Venmo and the Cash App on future orders but let's stick with PayPal for this one to keep it simple.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

If anybody is wondering how much they owe, just use this formula:

total = your full sacks that you ordered + the closed splits that you are on

Hope this helps. I am currently actively working on making it simpler, but for the time being the above is your solution.

Wrapping up at midnight, looks like other than the Carapils and Biscuit there aren't any splits likely to close. Please take this in to account when you make your payment! I'm closing the buy at midnight and if a split is open it won't get ordered so don't pay for it. For new buyers, if you have 5# of a grain and there's still 45# open that order will not be placed so don't pay for your 5 pounds, I'll just have to issue a refund.

Prompt payment will help get the order in quicker so, as Tony used to say, don't make me hunt you down.

I was hoping to get the order in today but that was being optimistic, still waiting on payment from two brewers who have full sacks and splits. The HBS doesn't reopen until Thursday so I'm going to try to get the order placed then.

Thanks to everyone who submitted payment, appreciate the quick turnaround on short notice.
Thanks

screen-shot-2015-11-12-at-71701-pm-688x490-15EE90B32CD491DB729-thumb400.png

Spoke with 3 Stars earlier and we're good for ordering this week (tomorrow?!), I'm just waiting on ONE brewer to pay (this was a rush so not holding it against anyone, just can't eat the cost). Used my last bit of base malts today, though, so I'm ready to wrap this up.

Will post again when I submit the order and again when I have a pickup date.

Thanks mate, spoke with 3 Stars and will be sending them the order tonight. Depending on product availability, I'm targeting April 6 for pickup but will post an update once product starts rolling in. Penciled in that day with 3 Stars so that's when they expect us to show up.

Hey all is anyone available to pick up my two sacks? I’ll be out of town that weekend. I live in nova and work in DC (navy yard)?

I've helped with the splits 8 or 9 times.
I will bring plastic bags, and something sharp for opening sacks. . I don't have a scale to offer.
Other things useful for the splits but too often we don't have: scoops, and buckets for holding the grain while we weigh it.

Once again, thanks for stepping up

Hopefully the grain pickup will be on a Saturday when I'm working. It's always fun to have the impromptu home brew party early in the morning on a Saturday. Day drinking rules!! :)

Still looking for someone to possibly help me with pick up as I will be out of town... any NOVA people?

Was just at 3 Stars about a half hour ago. It looks like the grain buy is in, or at least the part of it that came from BSG.

Double check with Harmony to make sure it's all there.

I spoke with 3 Stars earlier and can only ask for patience at this point (we've all been waiting for many months). We're confirmed for April 6th and unless there's a pressing need I'd just as soon stick with that date. I understand that not everyone can make it on that day so let me know what I can do to help.

I spoke with 3 Stars earlier and can only ask for patience at this point (we've all been waiting for many months). We're confirmed for April 6th and unless there's a pressing need I'd just as soon stick with that date. I understand that not everyone can make it on that day so let me know what I can do to help.

Completely understand! We appreciate you!

Just found out from my better half that we're going to be out of town the weekend of April 6th, so I won't be able to be there on the grain buy pickup day. Damn.

Not gonna be able to pickup claphamsa's grain for him. Sorry :(

I'm starting to feel the guilts about not rescheduling.. If anyone needs me to hold their grain until we can arrange a meet-up, let me know. I want this buy to be successful and don't want brewers to be (more) frustrated. It's not like I don't drive to NoVA or up 270, just have to figure out the logistics and timing. Cheers everyone, we're almost there.

I'm starting to feel the guilts about not rescheduling.. If anyone needs me to hold their grain until we can arrange a meet-up, let me know. I want this buy to be successful and don't want brewers to be (more) frustrated. It's not like I don't drive to NoVA or up 270, just have to figure out the logistics and timing. Cheers everyone, we're almost there.

Don't second guess yourself or get the guilts.

anyone in the 3 stars area that can pick up for me? I live a mile away...Ill be judging SOFB at Silver Branch that day :)

I live in Silver Spring so I could pick up for you. I currently don't have plans so you could either pick it up from my place or I could probably meet you at Silver Branch after SOFB is done. Send me a PM if you still need help and we'll work out the details.

I will help with splits.

We will need :
  • scales,
  • scoops,
  • buckets to hold grain while weighing,
  • sharp edges for opening sacks,
  • bags to hold the splits.
  • Pre printed labels
  • what else?

I just went to the group website and it was down.
Was waiting to announce after the pickup but Petar is putting the finishing touches on the next version of the site. If you need info from the old site let me know.

I've already prepared labels and at this point just need volunteers willing to give up their Saturday morning (along with the aforementioned bags, scales, scoops, buckets). I'm bringing some items but a couple more will be appreciated.

I'll be there to help with a scale and some bags. What time are we going to be able to get in?

Thanks everyone for making this such an easy pickup, it was also great putting names to faces. Thanks especially to the brewers who arrived early, handled splits as if they'd done this before, and bagged DME without making a sticky mess. Cheers to you all!

The new site will be up this week thanks to Petar, will post details in buy #24 once we get the new product and pricing list.

Yes thanks Joe! Looking forward to the next one. If I can get some coverage for the kiddo I'll come help with the splits.

Back