Dark Lord Day 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really?!?! All this for some beer. Sounds like 3 Floyds is making a killing on this overhyped beer. $50.00 per bottle "if you are fortunate enough" is ridiculous. I guess it must be the lack of decent breweries in the state because I would never do this in Wisconsin.

Me, neither.....even though we live in easy driving distance of Munster. This has less to do with beer than a "happening." More like a rock concert; you couldn't pay ME $50 a bottle and expenses to attend. Great DL might be, but nothing's that good.

If you saw any people playing a giant Jenga game, you probably saw me as that's where we were set up... that Jenga set was made the night before.

Who has a picture of that Jenga game?

This was my first year, and I got to say that the crowd is what made it fun. It was a disorganized mess, but everyone I encountered was there to have a good time, were in good spirits, and were very friendly. The beer was fantastic, but the people who attended are what made it an awesome event.

It was my first year. It was easy to get into the pub the night before, I was really surprised. I literally smoked a cig while the wife said "table for two" and they came and got me. So I said screw the pub the dark lord day. We grabbed 3 cases of GBH and 1 ZD the night before. ZD sold out of cases on DLD. Hell's Black was amazing, Mutiny and the Mollusk was solid. The rye'd da lightning was amazing. I had 2011 dark lord in line first thing that morning, first time taste and was kinda like ehh-ok. because it was just so sweet syrupy. maybe with some age and cold winter weather I'll feel differently about the taste. I wanted to clear up the band statement from someone earlier, they never really pushed anyone to leave and keep moving, that was more of a natural progression. If you wanted to watch a band, like me, I watched all of argonauts set. Then I stood in the exit for like 2 hours. I saw the DL bottles get dropped. Great time.

Also... did I just miss where you got your free sample for the ticket purchase? I know in years past you would get a pour of dark lord for the ticket.

I didn't think they ever did this. They did 4 free taster pours at the anniversary party..

Last year the night before they cracked a keg of BA Alpha Klaus and it was fantastic. No such luck this year, I was disappointed. I was not too impressed with the guest taps this year as well. Hanahpu and Apple Brandy Zhukov from Cigar City seemed to be the highlight (sadly I missed both).

Also from what I understand they stopped giving the free samples in 2010. They did have DL on tap in the pub for $7 a glass. It was great!

We had six in our group and walked out with 2 winners, BA and de Muerte. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. I had the de Muerte last year and it was one of the best beers I've ever had.

All-in-all it was a great time, and I will do it again next year if I get another ticket. We met up with Conpewter and his buddy before the gates opened. We shared some great conversation and some great beers!

Last year the night before they cracked a keg of BA Alpha Klaus and it was fantastic. No such luck this year, I was disappointed. I was not too impressed with the guest taps this year as well. Hanahpu and Apple Brandy Zhukov from Cigar City seemed to be the highlight (sadly I missed both).

You must have missed the KBS, CBS and BCBS Cherry as well...

There were other top notch guest taps but the good stuff goes super quick as they are mainly 1/6 barrels. I was able to get the BA Vanilla DL in the pub early before it ran out. They had BA Alpha Klaus on tap in the pub later. Also at the bottle sale tent they were selling BA Alpha Klaus, BA AK Plum and BA AK Cherry.

I hope you went and tried some of their newer beers like Mutiny and the Mollusk and Rye'd Da Lightening. Both were great! Live the Rich Life (rebranded Shark Pants) was great too.

I didn't think they ever did this. They did 4 free taster pours at the anniversary party..

I know they did in 2009 and I think 2010, they punched your "golden ticket" and that meant you'd got your pour of DL from the taps. They had a special table set up near the line

I think they either hid the sample taps/table or maybe you could get it in the brewpub? That or the guy on their twitter account didn't understand

Nick Herstich
@3floyds What exactly does the $15 dollar ticket get you?
3floyds ‏
@Shankpotamus Gets you in, guarantees you a sample of this year's DL, guarantees you the opportunity to buy your allotment, bands, fun. etc
Hide conversation
9:09 AM - 9 Mar 12

eanmcnulty,

Per your request, here's a shot of the Giant Jenga set from this past Saturday. I don't have any photos of any matches in their later stages, and I don't currently have a video editor installed to capture stills from a few game videos I took, but playing was a ton of fun. There were quite a few passers by that ended up playing... All the pieces are sanded and edged 2x4s.

IMG_1978x.jpg

conpewter,
Agreed. I didn't hear or see anyone mention anything about samples this year at all. Granted, I spend most of my time off the grounds, and didn't explore inside all that much - got lit pretty early on... ;)

eanmcnulty,

Per your request, here's a shot of the Giant Jenga set from this past Saturday. I don't have any photos of any matches in their later stages, and I don't currently have a video editor installed to capture stills from a few game videos I took, but playing was a ton of fun. There were quite a few passers by that ended up playing... All the pieces are sanded and edged 2x4s.

That's awesome! I may just have to steal that idea. Alas, I was one of the many that didn't get a ticket this year after going three years in a row. But at least a friend was able to go and get me a bottle. I'm planning on doing a vertical tasting on December 21st, 2012. :D

ArtimusBeerimus said:
eanmcnulty,

That's really great! I think I might have to make one of those. Kind of a big game to carry around, but everyone can see it and watch or play. Thanks.

I'm also thinking about making the huge Jenga set, though I'd need the time, looks like it is more work than just throwing some 2x4's on the chop saw

You must have missed the KBS, CBS and BCBS Cherry as well...

There were other top notch guest taps but the good stuff goes super quick as they are mainly 1/6 barrels. I was able to get the BA Vanilla DL in the pub early before it ran out. They had BA Alpha Klaus on tap in the pub later. Also at the bottle sale tent they were selling BA Alpha Klaus, BA AK Plum and BA AK Cherry.

I hope you went and tried some of their newer beers like Mutiny and the Mollusk and Rye'd Da Lightening. Both were great! Live the Rich Life (rebranded Shark Pants) was great too.

Damn sorry I missed those! We did get some of the BA AK and BA AK Plum bottles as well as 3 bottles of the anniversary stout. My guess is all the founders stuff was available while we were waiting in the 'B' line to get our beer. I'll keep a better eye out next year.

Wow sad I missed the Hanahpu, I've heard that is a great contender with Dark Lord.

Anyway, does anyone have a ticket from 2010 they'd be willing to give me? I'd pay a little for it, or send some Chicago area beers or something. I have 2009, 2011 and 2012 but I don't have a "golden ticket" from 2010, I had it at one point, but lost mine. Would like to create a bit of a Dark Lord display.

On Dark Lord Day, 28 April 2012 i was at a bar in a small Wisconsin town near the St. Croix River, not far from Stillwater MN. I was able to sample Dark Lord, Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord With Vanilla Beans, Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord, and a 3 Floyd's IPA that i did not get the name of. This was brought in by some local people . I have never had a beer like the Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord With Vanilla Beans--it was almost like a liqueur, very good and i wish cigars were still allowed in WI bars.

That's actually very cool. I've been trying to get a VB Dark Lord but either haven't scored a "golden" Golden Ticket or they were out of it by the time I got thru the line (like this year). Nice.

conpewter said:
I'm also thinking about making the huge Jenga set, though I'd need the time, looks like it is more work than just throwing some 2x4's on the chop saw

Actually, that's essentially what they did to build it. Fifty four blocks, each 10.5" in length (to make it square). They essentially mitred the edges a touch, and used a sander to smooth out the sides.

They use an old milk crate as a base, and fashioned some adjustable feet (screw in's) to level out the game. A level is helpful.

House rules are that you can touch any blocks you want, but if you move anything, you're committed to that block. It's not as precise a game as regular Jenga, but that's a plus because it works great if you've been drinking, and is a great group/team game as well.

Back