Dark Lord Day 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm actually looking for a bottle of the 2008 Dark Lord to complete my '07 to '12 vertical. In that context, $100 might not necessarily be so out of the question... if you had the money to blow that on a single bottle of beer. Not me... I'd be more interested in trading for a black wax '08 Dark Lord.

can anyone give a detailed description of line formations from 2011, and also how many people show up early and what time? I have two A tickets. If I decide to get in line for the pub super early I can buy my beer later with group b or c ?

FFF tweeted earlier this morning that they have a limited number of DLD Tix going on sale at the pub this morning at 9:30 CST, along with some barrel-aged selections...

Am I the only one who thinks this whole Dark Lord Day thing and the mania associated with it is completely bonkers?
Roger that. The hype for ONE beer that certainly isn't a world changer is disgusting and just feeds into their growing pompous attitude that reeks from the brewery. I remember going in 04ish when it was much less regulated, waiting in the LONG in line, trying a sample somebody was walking around with, then promptly left.

AlphaKing11,

I can't give you info on how early to show up for a pub line, but I've never heard that anyone with an earlier ticket time wasn't able to buy DL in a later line. I think it's more of a crowd management device.

If one is paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket to wait in line to get a limited amount of this stuff, some serious introspection and self-examination are in order.

Craft beer hype these days is really out of control.

I'm surprised how much the 2009 bottles are going for on Ebay, saw one that sold for $100... 2009 was not a good year for Dark Lord. 2008, 2010, 2011 were all great years (don't know about any earlier ones)

I also can't see paying $100 for a ticket. But I really have appreciated that 3 Floyds did 2 local sales. I was able to get tickets online, but if not I would have been on the road in seconds when they posted that on facebook the day after the sale

For some reason I can’t remember how we redeemed our tickets last year. Can you only use one ticket per person so you would need 2 people to use 2 tickets or get back in line. Or can you redeem both tickets at once?

Picked up a couple tickets on eBay on a whim. First went to the brewpub last month, I'm excited to go back!

Couple questions for those who have been there before, since the website is pretty much worthless for details:

-When do the bands start?
-How long should I expect to be waiting in line (1-3 time slot)?
-Is the entire event outside, rain or shine?
-What's the parking situation?

Picked up a couple tickets on eBay on a whim. First went to the brewpub last month, I'm excited to go back!

Couple questions for those who have been there before, since the website is pretty much worthless for details:

-When do the bands start?
-How long should I expect to be waiting in line (1-3 time slot)?
-Is the entire event outside, rain or shine?
-What's the parking situation?

-The bands didn't start until after 3 last year (that's when I left the event and I don't know when they started).

-Line time for me (if I recall correctly) was about an hour to get the Dark Lord.

-The event is mostly outside. They do have the brewpub open with a massive line to get into it, and they distribute the DL inside the brewery itself.

-Parking sucks. We parked in some random neighborhood and walked there. They of course urge you not to do this.

-The bands didn't start until after 3 last year (that's when I left the event and I don't know when they started).

-Line time for me (if I recall correctly) was about an hour to get the Dark Lord.

-The event is mostly outside. They do have the brewpub open with a massive line to get into it, and they distribute the DL inside the brewery itself.

-Parking sucks. We parked in some random neighborhood and walked there. They of course urge you not to do this.

Thanks!

One other thing I forgot to ask - will they be selling their beers outside for the concert and whatnot, or is it just BYOB? Can you buy some of their other beers (Arctic Panzer Wolf, Dreadnaut, etc.) when you buy the Dark Lord?

If it is anything like last year:
-If I remember right, when you can buy other FFF beers when you purchase your DL.

-They will sell their beers in the pub, it has a long line to get in (hour+ wait).

-There will also be a guest tap trailer that has some amazing stuff on tap as well (GI Bourbon County Rare made an appearance last year). We waited in line at least an hour and a half for this last year (the GI BC was gone by the time we got up there).

If you want to keep a buzz on all day, I suggest BYOB as well, and SHARE! We met some great people last year and got to try some equally great brews.

Yes the lines will suck but it's still better than a few years back. Unfortunately the band is inside so you really only get to see and hear them when you actually get your beer and they try to push you out as soon as you have your beer in hand. I like the pub and they have some decent food but again that line last year was ugly I want to say it took at least 2 hours to get into the pub. But at least we spent our time with some guys who had lots of great beers and were kind enough to share with all those around them. They also had a small cooler tap setup by the pub line along the back fence that really didn’t have any lines. Mostly because you couldn’t even tell they were there with all the people in line for the pub. It was way easier to get a pint from that tap than the main guest taps. I just hope the weather forecast get a little better for Saturday. Looks cold and wet.

The bands are inside?? Really bummed about that, I was hoping to see Eyehategod's set. Seems like they could just double the price of the tickets and rent an outdoor stage instead? Oh well.

I hope I'll find some people to trade some beers with then! We don't have a lot of "exclusive" beers in Ohio so I'm not even sure what to bring. Maybe some Columbus Brewing Company IPA, it's pretty damn good.

Just checked out several weather sites and it definitely sounds like Mother Nature won't be on our side this Saturday. Even if it's not that wet it sounds like it'll be cold. Ah well. It'll help keep the beer in my hand nice and cool.

Looks like FFF posted this yesterday, including the "rare" lineup...

Gates will open at 10 a.m. Group A tickets for Dark Lord bottle sales is 10 a.m.-Noon. Group B 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Group C 5 p.m.-7 p.m. Just like last year, you take your music today ticket, get in line for Dark Lord, and it will be exchanged for a Golden Ticket. Your Golden Ticket has a scratch off portion. If you are fortunate enough to be winner, you will have the opportunity to purchase a version of Barrel Aged Dark Lord in a screen printed, hand numbered, wax dipped bottle. This year’s bottles are Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord, Vanilla Bean Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord, Cognac Barrel Aged Dark Lord, and Cognac Barrel Aged Dark Lord de Muerte. $50/bottle. One per person.

Bands will be playing throughout the day

Looks like FFF posted this yesterday, including the "rare" lineup...

Your Golden Ticket has a scratch off portion. If you are fortunate enough to be winner, you will have the opportunity to purchase a version of Barrel Aged Dark Lord in a screen printed, hand numbered, wax dipped bottle. This year’s bottles are Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord, Vanilla Bean Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord, Cognac Barrel Aged Dark Lord, and Cognac Barrel Aged Dark Lord de Muerte. $50/bottle. One per person.

Really?!?! All this for some beer. Sounds like 3 Floyds is making a killing on this overhyped beer. $50.00 per bottle "if you are fortunate enough" is ridiculous. I guess it must be the lack of decent breweries in the state because I would never do this in Wisconsin.

So how was everyone's experience? Here in southern Indiana it was cloudy, cold, and wet. Hopefully better up north...

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/louie0202louie0202,
There were eight folks in our group and four people hit. Last year no one in our group got a BA.

If you saw any people playing a giant Jenga game, you probably saw me as that's where we were set up... that Jenga set was made the night before.

DoubleAught,
It rained in the morning but it was dry from about 8am on. The sun actually came out a bit later in the afternoon and the wind (which wasn't as bad as previously advertised) helped dry the ground.

They blocked off the street in front of the brewery for the first time this year. I'm sure it was safer from a emergency/policing perspective, but it detracted a bit from the atmosphere outside in my opinion.

Outside of some of the general madness that accompanies a snaking ticket line (which seemed a little crazier than in the past), I had a ton of fun.

Couldn't possibly remember all the beers I sampled. Pretty rocked by the end of the day, no doubt.

I wore hat, gloves, jacket, and a throw over raincoat. I was fine. I kept telling my buddy to do the same thing- he didn't. We found him some extra gloves (eventually) and he survived, but dressing like your going to an early Spring sporting event is the way to go.

We tried numerous rare beers generously passed around by strangers to strangers. We tried to bring the rarest beers we could find to share, but someone always had something better to share. Amazing to just stand in line and hang out with beer lovers.

One of my friends said the company that prints the scratch off's doesn't randomize them- so if you hit- many will hit and if you miss- a lot of people will miss. When we were up, the lady in front of me said, "I won!" Four people in her group won. Then I won and one of my two buddies one. We had a second group of friends there, and 4/5 of them won as well.

It seems to suggest this streak thing is true, a bunch win or no one wins.

I bought the Chili Aged, and my friend got the vanilla. Yes, $50 a bottle. I know that can sound insane to someone that doesn't get it. Frankly, I can put this bottle on Craig'slist and pay for my whole day. I might. Need to think about it.

I've got every year since 2007 or 08- I forget. I think it's a fantastic beer- one of the greatest of it's style. There is a lot of hype over this beer- there are other beers that can give it a run. It's still great.

I know there a lot of people that say it's stupid to by a beer for $15, $30, $50. Shrugs. I like the adventure. I like spending time with beer lovers, great beer, and collecting a small treasures that other people covet. For me it's a lot of fun.

77b478f1.jpg

I got a Vanilla also. And it's true that the winners are stacked. Three people In front of me all won so I thought I had no chance but I got one also. I also wore two shirts a hoodie and a rain coat. I didn't take any chances since freezing my ass off in 2010. We had a great time and killed 24/16 oz of my homebrew with a bunch of fun people in line.

ThatGuyRyan,
What are the other unwaxed bombers in your photo?

By the time we made it through the line (I was in Group C), all they had left was the regular BA DL. Will rethink buying later group tickets next year.

I agree that the line is a ton of fun, but I guess it's as enjoyable as you make it. It's not like you're in line to by a Cabbage Patch doll, you know?

We had a good time. I found some females left-handed glove and used that for a large part of the day. Kept holding out that I'd find a righty somewhere but no dice. Hung out with multiple people over the course of the day. I had a giant backpack loaded with all kinds of beers that I was pouring for anyone with an empty cup. While in the Group C line I attempted to steal a frankenfurter off the grill when they werent looking and gt busted. They were cool. I gave the guy $10 as long as i got a bun to go with it. Yep. I stole from him and still set the rules of how it was going to play out. Wish i knew they had bottles of Rye Da Lightning for sale. Helluva beer

We brought a cooler of beers and I quickly wished I had a back pack of beers instead. Next time, I'll do the back pack thing. I was out of line and leaving when I learned they had Rye Da Lighting for sale. My only 'regret'. Next time!

i had a bottle of 2002 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout (22% or whatever it is) that i was looking to trade for a Pliny but all the Pliny's i came across had some months on them. i know i can get a lot more for this bottle but i'm a simple dude.

It was a fun time, I did see the giant Jenga game, looked fun :)

I think there were a lot more barrel aged beers this year, according to the numbers on the bottles it looks like there was about a 50/50 chance of winning one. My friend and I both got one. He asked me to sell his as he can't really afford to have $50 tied up in a bottle of beer (no matter how wonderful it is) I'm planning on keeping my BA bottle. His is the regular barrel aged, mine is w/ vanilla (woot!). It is tempting to sell it though, I love Dark Lord, but $300 for a bottle of beer is crazy - what they are willing to pay on ebay/craigslist.

Got to share some fun beers in line, my friend brought a 2011 Dark Lord to pass around, I took some homebrew stout and others. It was much colder than I thought, so I was a bit cold all day, but once I got enough samples in me I wasn't as cold anymore :)

Also... did I just miss where you got your free sample for the ticket purchase? I know in years past you would get a pour of dark lord for the ticket.

If I get tickets next year I plan to get there really early so I can actually get in the brewpub this year. Any advice on that?

ThatGuyRyan,
What are the other unwaxed bombers in your photo?

By the time we made it through the line (I was in Group C), all they had left was the regular BA DL. Will rethink buying later group tickets next year.

I agree that the line is a ton of fun, but I guess it's as enjoyable as you make it. It's not like you're in line to by a Cabbage Patch doll, you know?

a894608c.jpg

Live a Rich life, Belgian double pale ale. $10 per $100 a case . Got a case of each that and Zombie Dust. They sold it at the merchandise tent outside the brewery directly left of the brewpub on your way out of the warehouse.

It was a fun time, I did see the giant Jenga game, looked fun :)

I think there were a lot more barrel aged beers this year, according to the numbers on the bottles it looks like there was about a 50/50 chance of winning one. My friend and I both got one. He asked me to sell his as he can't really afford to have $50 tied up in a bottle of beer (no matter how wonderful it is) I'm planning on keeping my BA bottle. His is the regular barrel aged, mine is w/ vanilla (woot!). It is tempting to sell it though, I love Dark Lord, but $300 for a bottle of beer is crazy - what they are willing to pay on ebay/craigslist.

Got to share some fun beers in line, my friend brought a 2011 Dark Lord to pass around, I took some homebrew stout and others. It was much colder than I thought, so I was a bit cold all day, but once I got enough samples in me I wasn't as cold anymore :)

Also... did I just miss where you got your free sample for the ticket purchase? I know in years past you would get a pour of dark lord for the ticket.

If I get tickets next year I plan to get there really early so I can actually get in the brewpub this year. Any advice on that?

They didn't do the free tasting last year either. But it seems like they are selling more barrel aged beers now vs the free samples to me.

I went with my two siblings who just went for fun. We all got winning tickets. I was surprised really. Looks like I have 3 rare dark lords :rockin:
It was my first time there but the line was a complete mess. It seemed like no one really knew where the line ended or started. I definitely had a great time though. It seemed like as soon as my cup was empty someone in line gave me another tasting. Very cool crowd!

Latest posts

Back