Dark Lord Day 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I have to ask...What is it that has made this Dark Lord Day so popular? Is it simply because the beer is really incredibly good or is it something else? I think its a really cool idea and I especially like the dark lord theme and all the awesome artwork surrounding it. I'm really in to metal so I can understand the attraction to a beer called dark lord and going to an event where there's heavy metal and beer. But, what I don't understand is why people are willing to drive from hours away and stand in lines that long for just a couple bottles of beer and some music? Is it really that good?
Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm sure I just made myself look stupid by asking.

If you asked me last year I would say that it wasn’t worth the trip. Even walking out with a full case last year it was such a mess that we all swore we would never go back. But I always like a good kick in the sack so we went again this year and I must say it was 100X better this year. Still some confusion with the lines and groups and such but once the gates opened at 10 we went from being about a mile away to in the gates in 30-45 minutes. I had tickets for group B so once I got in I went to the pub line and my buddies got their beer and found me in line still only half way to the pub! By the time I got my beer and found them again we were almost at the pub door. I didn’t have a chance to get any of the guest taps but we were able to hit the pub. For 4 bottles of beer it was a bit much but we had a great time. I would say 6 bottles per person would be a better deal but the great people in the pub line made up for the lack of beer. One of the guys in front of us got a special bottle of the vanilla with his winning ticket and opened it along with a few Westvleteren 12’s so it was a good day to be standing in line for 4 hours!

7fb54d71.jpg

567eda78.jpg

6833aafe.jpg

d79059da.jpg

If you asked me last year I would say that it wasn’t worth the trip. Even walking out with a full case last year it was such a mess that we all swore we would never go back. But I always like a good kick in the sack so we went again this year and I must say it was 100X better this year. Still some confusion with the lines and groups and such but once the gates opened at 10 we went from being about a mile away to in the gates in 30-45 minutes. I had tickets for group B so once I got in I went to the pub line and my buddies got their beer and found me in line still only half way to the pub! By the time I got my beer and found them again we were almost at the pub door. I didn’t have a chance to get any of the guest taps but we were able to hit the pub. For 4 bottles of beer it was a bit much but we had a great time. I would say 6 bottles per person would be a better deal but the great people in the pub line made up for the lack of beer. One of the guys in front of us got a special bottle of the vanilla with his winning ticket and opened it along with a few Westvleteren 12’s so it was a good day to be standing in line for 4 hours!

I agree. It isn't entirely about the Dark Lord, it's about beer in general. We started our day at 9 am opening up an Infinium and shared and drank several amazing beers along the way, mostly ones we would never have had access to. To me the real focus is on bringing together a community of beer lovers and the bonus is getting the Dark Lord (which is a fantastic beer).

Weekend was AMAZING. Got there Friday night, hit up the brewpub. Had 2008 Bourbon Barrel Moloko, and a Bourbon Barrel Alpha Klaus. Also their Ham on Rye beer, pretty solid. Oh yea, Zombie Dust, all citra PA, ****ing amazing. If you've tried an all citra beer and it was bad, you're doing it wrong, it's not the hop.

Started the morning off with a 2010 KBS bottle, got right in the complex, hit up the brewpub to get Vanilla Bean and Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord. O...M...G... Hah. Those beers were phenomenal. After that we went to a tasting tent and starting pouring and sharing with some other people. I can't remember what all I had. I did have a little GI Bourbon County Rare (Pappy Barrels, which was fantastic). 09 Nemesis, Hoppin Frog Boris, some Surly beers, and a bunch of other amazing **** I can't think of right now. It started to get a little fuzzy after awhile. Flawless weekend. Definitely better than last year.

Also, Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree on draft, some Jolly Pumpkin beers, etc etc.

That is one of the big things about DLD for me. Sharing. Bringing beer and sharing with others that bring beer. That is what makes the trip worth it for me. I've tried so many beers there that I would be very difficult to try any other way.

Sounds just like the Cigar City Hunahpu release party this year...so many amazing hard to find brews goin around, it was heavenly.

Who wants to trade a Hunahpu for a Dark Lord? I do!

Back