American Porter Dark Island Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK_Chess

enthusiastic learner
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WL002 English Ale
Yeast Starter
800ml (stir plate)
Batch Size (Gallons)
23L (5 gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60min
IBU
Color
Dark with hints of ruby
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 Celsuis (64F) ten days 20 celsius (68F) two days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
cold crash 7 days -1 Celsius (30F)
Tasting Notes
Dark chocolate and coffee flavours leading to a hint of sweetness
I have listed this under American porter primarily because it utilizes some American hops but its essentially a smoked porter. Being Scottish we have this love of smoked malts primarily in our whisky especially from the Western Isles, Islay, Skye etc . However we do make some exceptional smoked dark beers as well.

The beer has the full spectrum of taste, its balanced with enough bitterness from the Challenger and Willamette hops to satisfy but interestingly enough, the bitterness fades on the back end and you will detect a very slight sweetness. Expect coffee and dark chocolate flavours, truly a delectable brew.

Fermentables
================================================================================

Pale malt - Golden Promise - 4.5 kg (10lb)
Smoked Malt 700 g (1lb 8oz)
Black (Patent) Malt 300 g (10oz)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 200 g (7oz)
Caramunich Malt 200 g (7oz)
Total grain: 5.900 kg (13lbs)

Hops
================================================================================

Challenger 6.5% 40g 60 min 24.5 - IBU's
Willamette 5.5% 25g 10 min 4.7 IBU's
Willamette 5.5% 25g - Flame out

Mash Schedule
================================================== ==============================
Infusion @66 Celsius (150F) - 60 min
Mash Out @75 Celsius (167F) - 15min

Water Profile
================================================== ==============================
Ca 68
Mg 1
Na 15
SO4 46
Cl 60
HCO3 37
SO4/Cl Ratio 0.8

Finings
PVPP and silica gel (polyclar730)
Gelatin

This sounds good! I'm just doing my first ever batch (an APA) but think I might do a porter or stout next. I'm just doing extract w/ specialty malt to start though.. So I think I'll need a simpler recipe! Cheers

It was a really great beer. Now is the time for pale ales and light beers, come autumn and winter, then we can brew these. I wish you all the best with your American pale ale, its truly one of my favorite styles, you guys have all the fruity hops! I have a Caledonian porter that I brew regularly, I'll dig out the recipe and post it, perhaps its of some interest to someone - :)

I have listed this under American porter primarily because it utilizes some American hops but its essentially a smoked porter. Being Scottish we have this love of smoked malts primarily in our whisky especially from the Western Isles, Islay, Skye etc . However we do make some exceptional smoked dark beers as well.

The beer has the full spectrum of taste, its balanced with enough bitterness from the Challenger and Willamette hops to satisfy but interestingly enough, the bitterness fades on the back end and you will detect a very slight sweetness. Expect coffee and dark chocolate flavours, truly a delectable brew.

Fermentables

Pale malt - Golden Promise - 4.5 kg (10lb)
Smoked Malt 700 g (1lb 8oz)
Black (Patent) Malt 300 g (10oz)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 200 g (7oz)
Caramunich Malt 200 g (7oz)
Total grain: 5.900 kg (13lbs)

Hops

Challenger 6.5% 40g 60 min 24.5 - IBU's
Willamette 5.5% 25g 10 min 4.7 IBU's
Willamette 5.5% 25g - Flame out

Mash Schedule
Infusion @66 Celsius (150F) - 60 min
Mash Out @75 Celsius (167F) - 15min

Water Profile
Ca 68
Mg 1
Na 15
SO4 46
Cl 60
HCO3 37
SO4/Cl Ratio 0.8

Finings
PVPP and silica gel (polyclar730)
Gelatin

Like the look of this, think I'll give it a go! :rockin:

Hi Charles, I think it was pretty close to the stated 1056 and 1017. It could possibly be a little drier I suspect. :)

Back