Experimental Beer Dark Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1318
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Slight hint of the chocolate malt, smooth mouth feel. Tasty brew.
12# Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1# 2oz Honey Malt
1# British Crystal Malt II (65L)
6oz Chocolate Malt
1oz East Kent Goldings (5.00% AA) 15 min.
1oz East Kent Goldings (5.00% AA) 10 min.
1oz East Kent Goldings (5.00% AA) 5 min.
1oz East Kent Goldings (5.00% AA) 0 min.

Mash with 20qt water (my keggle mash tun has 3qt dead space, so I used 23qt) at 152F for 60 minutes.
Sparge as normal for your system (I use a Blichmann Auto Sparge).

Ferment at 64-66F for 2-4 weeks then bottle/keg as normal. I keg, and I let it go a full month in fermenter/primary before I transfer to serving kegs. I also use the 2-3 week 'set and forget' carbonation method to force carbonate.
Carbonate to ~2.6 CO2 volumes.

At ~5.4% ABV, this is an easy drinking brew. While I carbonate it more in the cream ale range, the more malty nature places it more into the English brown ale segment. Especially with using an English yeast strain.

Best if the keg is kept around 40F for this one.

This is only my third all grain attempt, I tried to follow this recipe and I just bottled it the other night. I was wondering how you got such a normal ABV. mine came out to about 7 or 7.2%. Which is way too high for my liking. With that much grain how do you have such a low gravity and alcohol content? I had an OG of 1.070 and FG of 1.014.

Back