DAP & Fermaid K nutrient schedule help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanRIowa

Reaction score
This will be my first mead.
My Planned recipe:
  • 2 gallons water
  • 6 lbs. honey
  • Hibiscus Flower
  • 2 lbs. frozen mixed berry: Blue Berry, Black Berry, Raspberry
  • Lalvin 71B Yeast , rehydrated with GoFerm

Planned nutrient schedule
  • 1/8 tsp heaping DAP at 24, 48, 72 hours
  • 1/2 tsp Fermaid K at 1/3 break
Does this sound like an appropriate nutrient schedule?
What would I change if I do not use the frozen berries?

thank you,
Dean

Last edited:
If you're using Fermaid K, wait @ least 24 hrs before adding your first addition. DAP is harmful to yeast in that first 24 hrs.

Planned nutrient schedule
  • 1/8 tsp heaping DAP at 24, 48, 72 hours
  • 1/2 tsp Fermaid K at 1/3 break
Does this sound like an appropriate nutrient schedule?
Go to the Mead Made Right website and use the TONSA protocol found there. My mead was way better when I started using that method. The only thing I do different is I use a whole pack of dry yeast per gallon of mead.

If you're using Fermaid K, wait @ least 24 hrs before adding your first addition. DAP is harmful to yeast in that first 24 hrs.
This is kind of quibbling but I believe that DAP is harmful to yeast while they are budding and creating the yeast walls and is ok with DAP after that point. If dry yeast is rehydrated properly, the DAP will be fine when you pitch the yeast. Now if you use DAP while rehydrating, then they will be affected for sure.

As a general rule of thumb I wouldn't and don't disagree with waiting, especially if the yeast will just be sprinkled on top.

I wouldn't use dap at all. You got fermaid k, that's way better and contains dap. Throw your dap away and follow the tosna protocol. If you want to step your game up a bit further, invest in some fermaid o and combine this with fermaid k according to the protocol.

Last edited:
This is kind of quibbling but I believe that DAP is harmful to yeast while they are budding and creating the yeast walls and is ok with DAP after that point. If dry yeast is rehydrated properly, the DAP will be fine when you pitch the yeast. Now if you use DAP while rehydrating, then they will be affected for sure.

As a general rule of thumb I wouldn't and don't disagree with waiting, especially if the yeast will just be sprinkled on top.
Agreed. Thank you for describing this better than I did. My post lacked the details. 😕😁

Back