Danstar Windsor for an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My LBS sells it's house American IPA kit with Danstar Windsor Ale yeast.
This seems strange. Most of their other kits use Nottingham which is IMHO much better for this kit.
Recipe: 7# light LME, 2.2# Wheat DME, 1/4# Crystal 15L, Hops are a blend of Centennial, Cascade and Chinoook.
Does this make any sense to you guys?

it is an English yeast and has a slightly fruity flavor, Ive used it and no issues so far, it doesn't give as much alcohol as Nottingham

a lot of well known Microbreweries make English Ipa's

I have used Windsor. Would you recommend it in an American IPA? I wouldn't.

Windsor has been the lowest attenuating yeasts ive ever used. IPAs are supposed to be dry by nature so it owuld be the exact opposite of what id consider for an IPA. Id use it for a english brown or somethign

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is probably one of the worst yeast choices for an IPA.

I have never thought of using it in an IPA but i kinda cant think why not. it is a non-flocculent strain so that kind of sucks for the clarity side of it but from your recipe it looks like it isn't going to be a 10% monster so the Moderate Attenuation should be fine to leave a bit of body behind which you want in an IPA IMO. It can give off Fruity esters but i would just keep it low during fermentation 63-65*F, and hell you are making an IPA and with the Hops you are using it looks like "fruity" is a character you are looking for!

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is probably one of the worst yeast choices for an IPA.

I agree with this but I posted the thread to get the other opinions too.
It's a 6 gallon recipe (up here in the Great White North we do that) so it won't be a 10% monster. I'd guess about 6.5%.

I have a year of free kits from this LBS for winning their extract recipe contest. I'm trying to figure out whether to make this kit using their recommended yeast. I think I'll split the batch and ferment 1/2 with Danster Bry 97 and the other 1/2 with Danstar Windsor and compare.

If you are worried about attenuation then sub in some simple sugars.

A lot of micros here use windsor and nottingham together, so they get the good attenuation but also a more interesting ester profile

If you are worried about attenuation then sub in some simple sugars.

A lot of micros here use windsor and nottingham together, so they get the good attenuation but also a more interesting ester profile

Interesting. I could see this working for a brown ale, stout, porter or maybe even a bitter or ESB.

I have heard a lot of comments about having a lower attenuating yeast for an IPA which I can understand. The thing that I don't like about Windsor specifically is that it has a resiny flavour that really stands out with lighter coloured beers and it seems to mute the hops. These are two characteristics make it totally wrong for an American IPA in my mind.

Back