Danstar Munich Classic or Danstar Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biertschi

Reaction score
Hello all. I am planning to brew a wheat beer. The only yeast brand I can get now is Danstar. And it has 2 types of yeast for wheat beer. Munich and Munich Classic. Does anyone know the difference between these 2 ones? Which one should I choose?

Munich Classic
Munich Wheat

If you read the "Brewing Properties" section of each page, there are minor differences in the descriptions. For example, the recommended styles are different, and the Wheat yeast is described as having high attenuation whereas the Classic is not.

You could flip a coin, and later on make another batch with the other yeast. I don't know what other advice I can give.

Cheers,

Munich Classic
Munich Wheat

If you read the "Brewing Properties" section of each page, there are minor differences in the descriptions. For example, the recommended styles are different, and the Wheat yeast is described as having high attenuation whereas the Classic is not.

You could flip a coin, and later on make another batch with the other yeast. I don't know what other advice I can give.

Cheers,

I just saw those links, thanks a lot. Actually as far as I see both are described as medium to high attenuation. And hefeweizen is a recommended style on both. So, as far as I understand they are quite similar. Ok, as you said, I'll flip a coin :) Thanks again!

Use the Munich Classic. It's the go-to Hefeweizen strain. It's the Weihenstephan W68 (Wyeast 3068). As far as I know it's the only way to get this strain as a dry-yeast.

Just curious, how do you know that it's this strain? Can you provide a reference for this claim? Just curious cause if this is that strain in dry format, i'm definitely going to have it on hand. Thanks!

Use the Munich Classic. It's the go-to Hefeweizen strain. It's the Weihenstephan W68 (Wyeast 3068). As far as I know it's the only way to get this strain as a dry-yeast.

Fermentis WB-06 is also a dry hefeweizen yeast. I have used it as well as WY3068 & I can tell you they are NOT the same.

Just curious, how do you know that it's this strain? Can you provide a reference for this claim? Just curious cause if this is that strain in dry format, i'm definitely going to have it on hand. Thanks!

Hey, it's pretty commonly known on the big german forum. Couldn't find the thread right now. But you can find it there. It's the Doemens #479 strain, which is identical to the WY3068 strain.
Also there's this article (pretty big german brewing magazine - maybe even small "german byo") which says it's the Doemens #479 (=Wyeast 3068).

Fermentis WB-06 is also a dry hefeweizen yeast. I have used it as well as WY3068 & I can tell you they are NOT the same.

Well, I wasn't talking about the WB-06. I was specifically talking about the Danstar Munich Classic dry yeast.
(On the german forum the WB-06 isn't even "recognized" as a Hefeweizen yeast, since beer fermented with this yeast doesn't even come close to a classic Hefeweizen.)

What's the best temperature schedule/range for the munich wheat beer yeast?

What's the best temperature schedule/range for the munich wheat beer yeast?

I brewed a Hefeweizen split batch a few weeks ago, 3 gallons using Munich, 3 gallons using Munich Classic. The carboys have been kept at a steady 62F the whole time. I'll be kegging them tomorrow.

Time for a good blind taste test to find the truer traditional German strain. :mug:

Hey, it's pretty commonly known on the big german forum. Couldn't find the thread right now. But you can find it there. It's the Doemens #479 strain, which is identical to the WY3068 strain.
Also there's this article (pretty big german brewing magazine - maybe even small "german byo") which says it's the Doemens #479 (=Wyeast 3068).

Here is the English translation of the article mentioned above:

http://braumagazin.de/article/brewing-bavarian-weissbier-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

I found this to be very useful - thank you, @lasultana for posting!

Ron

Wow. Some good info here! While WB06 is NOT the classic banana clove strain it still makes great hefe. I think it is similar to WY3638 and is more complex with fruit.

Wow. Some good info here! While WB06 is NOT the classic banana clove strain it still makes great hefe. I think it is similar to WY3638 and is more complex with fruit.

I was planning to use WB06 for the first time. At what fermentation temperature did you get the more complex fruit flavor in your Hefeweizen?

From memory it was nothing special, just mid 60's. Another good thing about WB06 is NO SULFUR. I would not hesitate to use it again. It would also rock in a wit!

I brewed a Hefeweizen split batch a few weeks ago, 3 gallons using Munich, 3 gallons using Munich Classic. The carboys have been kept at a steady 62F the whole time. I'll be kegging them tomorrow.

Time for a good blind taste test to find the truer traditional German strain. :mug:

How'd they turn out? Difference?

I am also interested in the results.

In the meanwhile, I have discovered http://www.braupartner.de/shop/fuer_10-25_Liter.chtml and it seems they have 4 different hefe yeasts, along with other yeasts, of which the belgian one seems to be the Chimay strain. Zymoferm also offer a dry hefe yeast which I am planning on using in the next months, along with some liquid ones. I live in Europe, so I should be able to order from there.

Too bad there is no transparency with the yeasts overall.

How'd they turn out? Difference?

They both turned out well. If I didn’t have the Munich Classic to compare the Munich against, I would have thought the Munich was closer to a true Hefeweizen than it actually was. The Munich didn’t have much banana flavor, it did have clove, but also had some floral aspects to it. To me, the Munich could also be used as a subdued Belgian strain. It would be interesting in a Belgian Blonde.

The Munich Classic was MUCH closer to the classic Hefeweizen strain. It had the banana and clove. I still felt that maybe it wasn’t a 100% match to the classic strain, but I didn’t have a liquid version to compare it against. THAT experiment will take place next year. :)

If you want to brew a Hefeweizen and want to use a dry yeast, definitely tryout the Danstar Munic Classic. It’s close enough (or spot on, can’t tell yet) to the classic strain to fit your Hefeweizen needs!

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks for the answer. I will go ahead and try Munich Classic in the near future. I felt that WB-06 was really lacking and too tart for the style.

They both turned out well. If I didn’t have the Munich Classic to compare the Munich against, I would have thought the Munich was closer to a true Hefeweizen than it actually was. The Munich didn’t have much banana flavor, it did have clove, but also had some floral aspects to it. To me, the Munich could also be used as a subdued Belgian strain. It would be interesting in a Belgian Blonde.

The Munich Classic was MUCH closer to the classic Hefeweizen strain. It had the banana and clove. I still felt that maybe it wasn’t a 100% match to the classic strain, but I didn’t have a liquid version to compare it against. THAT experiment will take place next year. :)

If you want to brew a Hefeweizen and want to use a dry yeast, definitely tryout the Danstar Munic Classic. It’s close enough (or spot on, can’t tell yet) to the classic strain to fit your Hefeweizen needs!

Cheers! :mug:

Thanks! That's great to know! Classic it is. I love dry yeast, but of course there are fewer options. Actually WB-06 is the only other I know of for a Weizen. Seems like everyplace sells the regular Munich, but very few the Classic? Where are people finding it?

Guess the natural next comparison may be WB-06 vs Munich Classic? Ok I'll bear the burden of doing it, just need to get some...

Would you care to share your recipe at all?

Thanks! That's great to know! Classic it is. I love dry yeast, but of course there are fewer options. Actually WB-06 is the only other I know of for a Weizen. Seems like everyplace sells the regular Munich, but very few the Classic? Where are people finding it?

Guess the natural next comparison may be WB-06 vs Munich Classic? Ok I'll bear the burden of doing it, just need to get some...

I got my Classic from my LHBS, last two packets. They didn’t have them out as they were just sampling them at the time. The told me they would be discontinuing the old Munich and getting the Classic moving forward.

As for a comparison, if you do one with WB, try adding a liquid yeast variant to compare both against the “real thing”. If possible of course. :)

Seems like everyplace sells the regular Munich, but very few the Classic? Where are people finding it?

I have seen the Munich Classic at Austin Homebrew Supply and Farmhouse Brewing Supply; I ordered two packets of it and expect to receive them today.

My closest LHBS is 230 miles away (Helena), and the next closest is 240 miles away (Billings), so mail order is my best option. In Great Falls (130 miles away), a beer/wine shop is taking some tentative steps into homebrewing supplies, but when I was last there, it didn't seem like their stock was that varied, yet. I expect this to change in the near future.

Thanks for the reports!

As for a comparison, if you do one with WB, try adding a liquid yeast variant to compare both against the “real thing”. If possible of course. :)

Will do. My LHBS keeps 3068 in stock, it's on my list. I just love the convenience of dry yeast, I keep a selection in the fridge so I can brew on a whim anytime without driving or waiting for shipping. I see there's a -Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat M20- dry yeast, have to try that.

If anyone knows of other dry Weizen yeasts do tell...

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons, but I have used the Danstar Munich Classic recently in two brews (Winter Wheat Dunkles Weißbier and Edelweiß Hefe-Weizen). Both were excellent, and - going by memory - at least as good as the Mangrove M20 and Danstar Munich that I had used before...better, in my opinion. I also have tried Wyeast 3638, as well; while it was very good, the Danstar Munich Classic was better, in my opinion.

What temp did you ferment at? Getting ready to brew a Hefeweisen and I have both the WB-06 and the Munich Classic on hand. One basement closet stays 63-65g this time of year otherwise the laundry room varies between 68-75f. Trying to decide if I keep it in the closet or start warmer and then move it there when vigorous fermentation drops.

Last edited:
My temperatures were ambient, but with 1-gallon batches, I've noticed that they are very close. I place the fermenters in a tub that is well-insulated, so the temps stay quite stable.

For the Edelweiß, I was at 66-ish, while the Winter Wheat was at 62-ish (give or take a couple of degrees for each).

Last edited:
One more vote of confidence here for the Lallemand Danstar Munich Classic strain. 10 gallons 40% wheat grain bill, IBU 22 Hallertau Mittlefruh, 1.049-1.009 at 67degrees with 2 packets yeast not rehydrated. Finished in 3 days! Raise to 72 for 3 days for diacetyl rest then cold crash a couple days to "clear". Kegged and drinking in 10 total days. Beer is so good and ready to drink quick. Crisp, tart, and Belgiany like Weihenstephan but in my opinion more subdued clove and more complex and pleasant fruit esters with a wonderful lingering flavor drawing you back to the tap handle.

WB-06 is said to be closer to the Duvel yeast family, being diastaticus. It's very tart - very low post-fermentation pH -, clovey, with no real distinct banana or fruit. It's not bad, but a Hefeweizen will not make, but probably OK for a Wheat Ale. Used in combination with S-04 and T-58 as per the Treehouse yeast thread.

Never tried the normal Munich dry yeast, but I think it's also a diastaticus yeast, or at least alleged to be. Munich Classic is definitely a Hefe yeast, and being dry, makes it one of the best and most expressive dry yeast available on the market.

WB-06 is said to be closer to the Duvel yeast family, being diastaticus. It's very tart - very low post-fermentation pH -, clovey, with no real distinct banana or fruit. It's not bad, but a Hefeweizen will not make, but probably OK for a Wheat Ale. Used in combination with S-04 and T-58 as per the Treehouse yeast thread.

Never tried the normal Munich dry yeast, but I think it's also a diastaticus yeast, or at least alleged to be. Munich Classic is definitely a Hefe yeast, and being dry, makes it one of the best and most expressive dry yeast available on the market.
Ha! I thought that it's more Belgian than German when tasting it. Good to know that this is backed up :)

I used the Classic as recommended by a German member of HBT. Hefe was great and disappeared quickly.

I wish I had read this thread before wasting a batch with WB-06. Not impressed at all with WB-06. It tasted neither Belgian nor "German", just TAAAAAAAART. Next time I'll try Munich Classic, if I can find it. I haven't seen it around here.

I wish I had read this thread before wasting a batch with WB-06. Not impressed at all with WB-06. It tasted neither Belgian nor "German", just TAAAAAAAART. Next time I'll try Munich Classic, if I can find it. I haven't seen it around here.
Ok, didn't recognize that as my batch was an accidental sour mash anyway. I left the mash going over night which a lot of bacteria apparently greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back