Damn you saisons, you finally won me over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
When I started really getting into craft beer (about when I started my homebrewing) I never really liked strong yeast character, and as such saison was a style I thought I'd never like. I even bought a bottle of Saison DuPont last year and dumped out half the bottle. I'm not sure why, but I kept with it, doggedly trying to get into the style. I had a glass of Tank 7 at a friend's wedding rehearsal in April and liked it fine, and then last month, after going on a 30 mile bike ride in 90 degree heat, stopped at a restaurant and had a cheeseburger and a pint of Tank 7 and it was like a revelation. The intersection where deliciousness met refreshment. What I'm trying to say, in a round about sort of way, is I finally get it saison fans. And huzzah for perseverance.

(Written while tipsy after finishing a pint of Hinterland Saison.)

I'm still waiting for them to click for me, I try one every couple of months. I think part of what gets me with them is the first few I tried were all home brews that even the brewers weren't all that happy with.

For me saison is kindof a neat style. You can do alot with them so there are lots of different one out there. It seems like and impossible style to make a guideline for. I had one recently that was kinda bananay which i didnt care for, i like the fresh cut hay flavored ones or the ones with smoke and pear note. Im hoping to brew one this weekend if i have time.

avidhomebrewer said:
I"ve been brewing Saison DuPont for years and really like it. Welcome!

I'd love that recipe if you're willing to share. I think a crisp saison with it's effervescent bubbles and earthy notes are really quite good. I had one with a rather generous pepper addition recently that I just couldn't stomach.

Saisons are one of my favorite brews. I have about six different ones in the basement right now. I went on a saison brewing kick so I could have plenty of them around for the summer. With the heat we have been getting, nothing refreshes like a nice saison.

I absolutely love saison's! One Of our house recipes is a nice clean saison dry hopped with home grown cascades. It's always a party pleaser.

I always say, acquiring a taste for beer in and of itself takes time. The "gateway" beers like BMC takes time but acquiring a saison/belgian/IPA is exactly the same just have to acclimate your palate. I am happy to hear of your awakining! =)

Next is a journey with wild and sours right!?!

Cheers!

I'm working on my Tank 7 clone this summer. The first one came out fairly well. It's such a nice beer that I think it's going into rotation, with tweaks of course.

I have a mash soured Saison in the fermenter right now. It's the first yeast-forward Belgian style that really appealed to me. Now I'm gradually finding myself appreciating more Belgian styles, but any place I go that has a Saison I will always have to try it.

I'm the same way- it finally clicked for me a few months ago. It was a black saison, smooth and creamy. I believe it was from black fox brewing ..

Latest posts

Back