damn this sounds good !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
i found this recipe earlier messin' on the net. if i tried it later on.....would 2 packets of the Safale s-40 dried yeast be to much. i never used it before ???? what do you think ??

OATMEAL MILK STOUT
Malts
8 oz UK Chocolate Malts
8 oz US Flaked Oats
8 oz UK Torrified Wheat
6 oz Medium Crystal Malts
4 oz UK Roasted Barley
5.5 lbs. Extra Light DME

Hops
1.5 oz UK Fuggle
.25 oz East Kent Golding

Other Ingredients
4 oz Brown Sugar
12 oz Lactose
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Yeast
Wyeast 1028 - London Ale (This yeast died, PITCHED TO SOON, but is the preferred yeast in future versions)

Fermentis Safale S-04

I'm still fairly new at this, so call me crazy, but wouldn't you need some kind of base malt with diastatic enzymes (i.e. 2 or 6 row) to get anything from the oats and wheat?

Sounds like a tasty beer though (I love oatmeal and milk stouts, never had one of both though).

Wheat has more than enough to get it going.
6 oz Medium Crystal Malts - Not sure what this would be 60L? 40L.
12 oz Lactose - Everything sounded great until this, don't get me wrong I like a little bitter offset but I would rather do it with hops instead of lactose. But if you got the time, this does look tasty.
Please follow up with a tasting review.

12 oz Lactose - Everything sounded great until this, don't get me wrong I like a little bitter offset but I would rather do it with hops instead of lactose.

I thought lactose imparted a residual sweetness, not bitterness, since it's a non fermentable sugar.

12 oz Lactose - Everything sounded great until this, don't get me wrong I like a little bitter offset but I would rather do it with hops instead of lactose. But if you got the time, this does look tasty.
Please follow up with a tasting review.

I thought lactose imparted a residual sweetness, not bitterness, since it's a non fermentable sugar.

Dcott is on the money. Lactose (milk sugar) will give sweetness and mouth feel. Lactic acid is sour.

This sounds like a tasty stout. Two packets of S-04 would be no problem.

I dont imagine you actually need two packets, though. One packet, properly rehydrated and pitched/fermented at proper temperatures should be fine....

I would consider bumping the oatmeal to 12 - 16oz, go with 8 - 12oz of Crystal 80L, and maybe bump the Black Barley to 8oz or add a couple oz of black patent to get it darker but overall sounds like a great recipe, sweet and nutty and creamy...great winter beer.

Oh, and I would use both packages of yeast and ferment around 68 degrees.

Let us know how it comes out.

I'm still fairly new at this, so call me crazy, but wouldn't you need some kind of base malt with diastatic enzymes (i.e. 2 or 6 row) to get anything from the oats and wheat?

Sounds like a tasty beer though (I love oatmeal and milk stouts, never had one of both though).

I think this is a a extarct with grains recipe so he will steep the grains. And i would pitch about 18 grams of rehydrated yeast...not a full two packets

I'll be brewing something very similar to this soon. It sounds like an excellent brew for kickin' back next to the fire on a cold winter day, or chuggin' while watching football! :drunk:

Dcott is on the money. Lactose (milk sugar) will give sweetness and mouth feel. Lactic acid is sour.

HEAD SLAP <-> Teach me to post late at night after hitting my home bar - :drunk: always makes it harder to read and comprehend.
Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

Why is it necessary to rehydrate the S04? I just sprinkled that that yeast onto my OktoberFAST and fermentation started in less then 5 hours and gravity was barely strong enough to pull the airlock down before the next bubble pushed it back up. Very vigorous and fast fermenting strain, I don't think it is generally recommended to rehydrate it.

Edit: To answer your question (i'm assuming by your grain bill youre doing a 5gal batch) I think one packet is fine.

from what I have been reading, a sour stout can be made using rotten guinness beer, I also thought that lactose was alternative to the sour beer. FYI by taking 24oz of guinness and leaving out in a bowl covered in ceran wrap for 2 weeks and then pithching into the bottling bucket, one getts the sour stout taste. I would not recommend this if you want a sweeter stout.

By the way can anyone in this post tell me a way to get a thick steady head (like in guinness) short of nitro? Some suggestions have been carapil or wheat to aid foam retention, but that will not create that creamy sort of head

from what I have been reading, a sour stout can be made using rotten guinness beer, I also thought that lactose was alternative to the sour beer. FYI by taking 24oz of guinness and leaving out in a bowl covered in ceran wrap for 2 weeks and then pithching into the bottling bucket, one getts the sour stout taste. I would not recommend this if you want a sweeter stout.

By the way can anyone in this post tell me a way to get a thick steady head (like in guinness) short of nitro? Some suggestions have been carapil or wheat to aid foam retention, but that will not create that creamy sort of head

You could try some white wheat malt, but that head is mostly because of the nitro system that guinness is served on.

And it isn't rotten Guinness, just soured a bit.

Edit: To sour, you'd also want to add a little bit of grain so you could get the lactobacillus you'd need to replicate a sour mash.

Lactose is an unfermentable sugar that will sweeten beer.. Lactic acid is a sour acid used most often to adjust the pH of an all grain mash. Lactobacillus is bacteria strain that will turn a beer sour.

from what I have been reading, a sour stout can be made using rotten guinness beer, I also thought that lactose was alternative to the sour beer.

This was the inspiration for the lesson. Lactose and Lactic acid seem to be quite often confused.

You could try some white wheat malt, but that head is mostly because of the nitro system that Guinness is served on.

Partly right. The 20% flaked barley added to the mash has a lot to do with it as well. ;)

Guinness add a proportion of soured beer to the mash. I used to know the proportion, but I can't remember it.

Both of those things are immaterial to the recipe at hand, however, because we're not trying to replicate Guinness.

The flaked and torrefied grains must be mashed in order to get anything useful out of them. I'd make this a partial mash with at least a pound of UK 2-row pale malt. Not terribly difficult to do; if you Google "simple partial mash" you should get a bunch of methods from which to choose.

Cheers,

Bob

Guinness add a proportion of soured beer to the mash. I used to know the proportion, but I can't remember it.

Both of those things are immaterial to the recipe at hand, however, because we're not trying to replicate Guinness.

About 3% IIRC, and I agree that it would be out of place in a milk stout, where sweetness and creaminess are desired, instead of the dry and roast characteristics you'd want in a dry stout.

WheaYaAt: The posters above this (and the PM's we exchanged) agree: Toss in a pound of two-row malt, and try to hold your steeping grains between 145 and 155F for 45 minutes to an hour. It's as easy as that, or as complicated as you want to make it.

Back