Damn Austin Homebrew Supply!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap I just ordered 97.37 worth of stuff and paid shipping. I forgot that it was free shipping over $100.

I ordered two kits Irish Red and the Stout, since I don't need yeast or priming sugar because I keg, each kit cost me $19.21. $46.41 after shipping which still isn't bad at all.

I didn't mean to offend those that use kits. It's just not how I've done it and I was curious. I agree that $20 + yeast isn't a bad price especially if you're using extract. My local homebrew store sells 3.3lb LME for $11.35, so there's no way I could beat $20 for an extract batch. I usually brew all grain and buy base grains in bulk, so I can beat it there. I also keep a yeast bank in the fridge and rarely have to buy yeast which really keeps the cost down. I think I've gotten my pale ale down in the $15-17 range which makes for some cheap drinking. To each his own.

Petey,

I saw that option, but I've got a storage room full of grains of all different types and a good local homebrew store that gives me a discount for being AHA. If I can't get what I need there I'll definitely keep Austin in mind.

I put in my order - been toying with it for a week - finally settle on 2 wine kits (my supply is almost gone and wanted more than 1 flavor) and a beer kit. Of course 2 wine kits at ~65 is the $100... It was hard not to get 3 or 4 beer kits, but I'm working on subverting others and maybe we will put together an order of 4 or 5 later.. (I know austinhomebrew is just crying in their LME that I might order again... What they don't have beer to cry it.. so it must be lme)

It's easier to resist the closer I get to Portland. I think all the great craft beer produces a mental barrier against the evil influences of Texas-based excess.

Petey,

I saw that option, but I've got a storage room full of grains of all different types and a good local homebrew store that gives me a discount for being AHA. If I can't get what I need there I'll definitely keep Austin in mind.

At less than $20 a kit (I don't need the yeast either, I have my own yeast bank too) I think it's a great deal for anyone who hasn't had an option of bulk buys or just don't have to storage space to keep that much grain on hand.

Last weekend I finally joined the local homebrew club and now have the bulk buy option available. Until last weekend, even members had to wait until a bulk order was placed. Even then, I'll still be following recipes until I learn what grains/hops make what flavors and better know how to formulate a recipe. Until then, kits are still a good option for me to try out a style I've not had before.

These kits are ridiculously cheap for what you're getting, especially the extract kits. There is almost no way to beat these prices.

As I sit in deadlocked traffic just south of WPB after another looong 6-1 day I can't help but think tomorrow after work I'll brew my first AG and. Promptly order 3-5 ahs kits as I got myself two cornies today. My half full fridge has no idea what o have instore for it now.... Hahahha

My HAUL was delivered. LOLOLOLOL :p

IMAG0666-1.jpg

IMAG0665-2.jpg

Yea I saw that post too about using the kits within a month. Keep the LME refrigerated he said. Mine is in the basement at about 43 degrees. I wonder if freezing the LME has any bad effect? Anyone know?

AHS got me again on the last day of the sale - ordered 4 more kits (7 total) along with some other stuff! Going to put two of the IPA kits together (plus a little tweaking) in a 6 gallon batch and make an IIPA!

Just placed my 2nd order from AHS. First one was double bastard and yeti, this one is chimay blue and rogue imperial ipa. Lovin the free shipping.

What is the suggested storage for hops, grains and DME? I put yeast in the fridge, but I have been putting (pellet) hops, grains and DME in the big freezer because there is more room.

EDIT: I love the AHS kits. Easy and can't beat the price.

Back