Cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlescales

Reaction score
Bored at work, thinking about the gallon of organic apple juice and 3 pounds of clover honey sitting in my cupboard at home. I also have a packet of red star (I think) champagne yeast.

Thoughts? I have been searching the threads and have an idea of what I am doing but could use a bit more input on the matter before I go home and dumb everything together. Oh, and I have a hunk of ginger too that might be nice.

Is 3 pounds too much honey? I don't mind the champagne yeast eating this dry, and saves me a trip to the LHBS (that I can't go into and just buy one thing at) Also, how long does this stuff take to clear usually? I've read that it can clear pretty fast and might not need a secondary, is this correct?

Thanks y'all :)

Given this a bit more thought, and the recipe I am coming up with is...

1 gallon unfiltered organic apple juice
1.5 pounds clover honey
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet (just to be on the safe side)
small handful of golden raisins
3 or 4 clementines
Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast

Might add a stick of cinnamon and a slice of ginger, though the cinnamon means a trip to the store.

The plan is to mix everything but the yeast and pectic enzyme, and let sit with a cloth over the jug. After 12 hours I will add the pectic enzyme, and then in another 12 add the yeast and an airlock and let it sit to do what it pleases. Any thoughts on this, maybe there is something I should add or omit?

Your recipe is close to what I do for my "Spring Mead". I do 6# quality honey, 2 gallons apple juice, 1/2 gallon white grape juice, 8 oz fresh ginger pulverized, 2 oz orange peel and lemon peel. I throw spices in a bucket( sanitized) and pour 1/2 gallon boiling water on top- let set for 20-30 minutes, then add all other stuff. I use nottingham yeast for a sweet mead or pastuer champaign for dry mead. Pitch yeast and cover bucket w/ saran wrap. Secure w/ a rubber band. Roust once a day for 14 days. Then transfer every 2 weeks til clear. ( forgot to say- after all ingredients are in bucket, top off to about 4.75 gallons w/ water). I bottle mine to be sparkling- so add 4 oz corn sugar + 1/4 packet champaign yeast to bottling bucket, bottle, ready in 3 monthes- though much better 6 monthes or more. Using the drier yeast ( champaign) will require longer aging. If you want ^ abv, then add more honey. This recipe usually has a 1.114 SG- notts will take it down to the 20s range, champaign down as low as .998. I have done numerous batches on this basic recipe, and all have turned out great. The latest was a mexican mead that added 3# raw blue agave nectar and real ceylon cinnamon to it. Sometime I also add vanilla bean paste to it. Its fun stuff to make and the wives of club members that dont like beer rave about it at meetings. Good luck and have fun with it.

Thansk, that sounds tasty. I am trying to figure out how much honey to add... is 1.5 pounds per gallon good? Will that be dry or semi sweet? This is my first cyser, so uncertain. I don't want to put so much honey in that a high gravity chokes out the yeast though.

Back