Cyser honey additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aqualung23

Reaction score
Hi all, totall cyser noob here with a question regarding adding honey to actively fermenting cyser.

My cyser seems mostly done fermenting and came out very dry and I want it to be sweeter but allow for more fermentation if the yeast will tolerate it. Would I basically just mix in some honey and give it a week or so, then repeat until it reached the desired sweetness?

Also, because of the dryness, it doesn't have as much apple taste as I wanted. Can I rack it onto some sliced apples for a few weeks to increase the apple flavor? Thanks in advance.

If you are wanting to max out the yeasts ABV then sure. Mix up a little honey and let her rip. If you have been taking gravity readings then take one before adding honey and after. Add that point gain to the original gravity when you started so you can accurately calculate ABV and can guesstimate how much honey is needed to reach the potential ABV limit and not add too much honey.

When you rack off the lees once it has hit its ABV limit you will have some head space in the new carboy. Top off with some apple juice or cider. That will help with the apple tones. Also after it is sweeter if you have no room to top off then a small amount of malic acid can help bring out the apple flavor a bit.

If you are wanting to max out the yeasts ABV then sure. Mix up a little honey and let her rip. If you have been taking gravity readings then take one before adding honey and after. Add that point gain to the original gravity when you started so you can accurately calculate ABV and can guesstimate how much honey is needed to reach the potential ABV limit and not add too much honey.

When you rack off the lees once it has hit its ABV limit you will have some head space in the new carboy. Top off with some apple juice or cider. That will help with the apple tones. Also after it is sweeter if you have no room to top off then a small amount of malic acid can help bring out the apple flavor a bit.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I know it may sound dumb, but I just don't want to put in any additives whatsoever. I didn't even use juice with vitamin C in it. It started out at 1.113 and is now 1.000. I used Red Star Cotes des Blancs, which may be able to go another .5-1%, so I'm figuring I max it out at 15-15.5% and then add about another pound of honey, cause I only want a little sweet. Then I'm going to rack it onto spices (It's for next Christmas) and top it off with some cider. It's already fairly smooth tastin for 14.8%, so I'm really excited to see how my first one turns out!

Latest posts

Back