CVS Povidone-Iodine for sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centrex

Reaction score
Povidone-Iodine 10% (1% Available Iodine), Citric Acid, Disodium Phosphate, Glycerin, Nonoxynol-9, Sodium Hydroxide and Purified Water.

Anyone use this specific product for bottling? I also have a Tractor Supply and have read where some brewers use their products. If so what specific product from there do you recommend?

I have a homemade bottle and carboy washer and usually mix up 1/2 oz of star san to 2.5 gal of water in a bucket and let my submersible pump do all of the work. I have read with 1% Iodine all i would use is 1/4 oz?

I'm fully aware of the power of Star San the Almighty, but im all out and it's not locally available by this weekend. So hopefully that will curb all the Star San recommendations.

Thanks all!

Nonoxynol 9 is a spermicide I think. What, exactly, are you doing with your brew equipment? Lol.

Iodophor labeling suggests 25ppm iodine as no-rinse.

FYI Star san can be saved for a long time, especially if you use distilled or RO water... Or you can make it in very small quantities (1/4 tsp in 3 1/3 cups) to use in a spray bottle.
1oz bleach + 1 oz vinegar per 5 gal is no-rinse and cheap.

Nonoxynol 9 is a spermicide I think
Right, it's an antimicrobial surfactant, like DBSA in star san.

Back