cutting rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
It might be really easy and I might be overly worried about doing it, but I haven't been able to find anything illustrating or instructing on how to clip some rhizomes. What and where do I cut from the rootballs?

Most rhizomes are taken from the shallow roots, not the root ball. You can, however, split a root ball. To harvest the shallow roots, use a spade to cut a ring around the root ball about a foot from the ball (or last year's bine location). Then just dig outside that cut. The roots should be less than 4" down.

I was wondering about this. Thanks!
This past (2nd) season I had shoots coming up a couple of feet from the crown. I should be able to get a bunch of rhizomes come spring time.

I was wondering about this. Thanks!
This past (2nd) season I had shoots coming up a couple of feet from the crown. I should be able to get a bunch of rhizomes come spring time.

When u dig them up in the late winter early spring u will see the nodes,leave a inch or so on each side and replant.commercially u keep the about 6" long there are a couple of picc someplace on my site Cheers Glen

Hopfarmer can you cut rhizomes from the plants I planted last year they grew to over 16 ft.

Thanks Pat

Lightly dig around where you had a bine last year and cut. Like stated, I cut 6in pieces and plant at least 5-6 rhizomes per hill. Never worry about damaging the plant it's a desert weed, goodluck.

Most rhizomes are taken from the shallow roots, not the root ball. You can, however, split a root ball. To harvest the shallow roots, use a spade to cut a ring around the root ball about a foot from the ball (or last year's bine location). Then just dig outside that cut. The roots should be less than 4" down.

David, I took your suggestion of chopping off the bine about 5 ft up and digging a small trench to place it in while still connected and covering everything up.

Come spring I should be able to dig this up and chop into rhizomes shouldn't I?

South East Pennsylvania, here.

Just wondering what the best time to harvest rhizomes to send /give away to friends/replant at as many relatives houses as possible :D

Also, what is the best way to ship rhizomes? They will be shipping from Philly area to central Indiana (perhaps 3-5 days )

You should be able to take a few of of 2nd year plants,just dig around the crown and then pull dirt away w hands and cut some out w a knife.I just put some pictures up on the web site on harvesting rhizomes (under rhizomes for sale). Anyone who is shipping use USPO Priorty put them in a ziplock w moist paper towel and you should have no problems. Also dig as soon as the ground is thawed Cheers Glen

Maybe a dumb question, but is there anything that needs to be done with the "stub end" on the crown after cutting the rhizome? Can it just be buried again right away, or does it need to be left exposed to the air in order to "heal"? For some reason I thought I had heard something along those lines.

I swear, a week ago we still had snow on the ground, but with the weather we've been having everything is growing and I really need to do some spring maintenance. It's not too late to take rhizomes when the crowns are sprouting, is it? When I got some of my rhizomes, they had shoots a couple of inches long, so I hope not.

I'm trying to figure out where to do the cutting. On some of my plants, I've kind of lost track of which growth is the actual crown and which is just off-shoots. Its as if there are multiple crowns or the crowns themselves are expanding.

Back