Currantly Red - A Red Currant Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeeSniper

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Copper
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days @ 72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 days @ 72
Tasting Notes
Tart, distinctly from red currants; High ABV, but well hidden; a tad dry
Steeping:
2lbs Caramel 80L

Malts:
3lbs Muntons Plain Light DME
3lb Muntons Wheat DME (55% wheat)

Hops:
1oz Centennial Leaf (60 mins)
0.5 oz Warrior Leaf (30 mins)
0.5 oz Warrior Leaf (5 mins)
0.5 oz Fuggles Leaf (dry hop/secondary)

Yeast:
US-05 Dry

Other:
5lbs Freshly picked red currants from the garden. Rack onto secondary.

Primary: 5 days at 72 F
Secondary: 18 days at 72 F

Conditioned in keg for 4 weeks before drinking. Sampling earlier revealed extremely sour notes, but it mellowed out quite nicely later.

OG: 1.058 (before red currants were added)
FG: 1.014

I put the calculations into beer calculus to see what the abv would turn out to be after the addition of red currants, it puts the ABV to 8.5%.
--------------------------

My parents have had red currants growing in our yard for years, and I remember always taking a bunch and eating them til I ate too much and felt sick. I thought it would be a cool idea brewing with them before I moved out for good, especially because I've never seen any recipes using them before.

It took me about 1.5-2 hours to pick 5 lbs, and then actually take them off the little stems, but it was worth it. Just in case anyone was curious, I got all 5 lbs from one bush (keep in mind, it's been around for several years, hence the high yield).

I dry hopped with the Fuggles because I had some leftover from another brew. I figured it really couldn't hurt, and I think it helped out nicely. The tartness from the currants REALLY shows, and I think the dry-hopping might have helped hide a little bit of them.

Close Up of the yummy berries
img20120627125200.jpg

All the Red Currants I Used
img20120627125153.jpg

Before they were drowned in beer
img20120627130203.jpg

After yeasties ate their faces out. Red currants not so red anymore, the bags were stained a bit.
img20120713144359.jpg

The Final Product
redcurrant2.jpg

i too grew up in a house with a lot of currant bushes in the yard, and i commend you on brewing with the berries.

And i wish i could taste it too. currant jelly is one of my favorite memories of growing up.

These days i just have more grapes than a single man has any right to. Came with the house. Mostly concords.

i too grew up in a house with a lot of currant bushes in the yard, and i commend you on brewing with the berries.

And i wish i could taste it too. currant jelly is one of my favorite memories of growing up.

It tastes a lot like you would expect. If you remember red currants being quite tart, it's the same thing but a bit more pronounced, since there is no sweetness to ease the sourness.

Remind me to snag a couple pints of currant jelly the next time i swing by the old homestead . . . .

I too once had the pleasure of growing red current in my back yard. When I was a young lad, mother would pick them all day in the scorching hot sun. One thing that always stuck with me was the juice on her fingertips. I hope my beer turns out as good as mothers hands tasted on those hot summer days.

Do you think this would go well with mango? I think I will try a mango red current. I did not have a mango tree growing up so I don't know...

Does anybody have a mango tree in their backyard?

Latest posts

Back