Cucumber in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the search function, but couldn't find what i was looking for. I want to make a very light cucumber session beer this summer, around 3.5-4% and 20 or so IBUs. I was wondering if anyone had experimented with cucumber as an ingredient. I was thinking of juicing a bunch of cucumbers for about a gallon of juice and adding the juice right at turn off so that the juice is pasturized, but not boiled. I want to have a crisp refreshing cucumber flavor for the summer months, any feedback on my idea?
I made a cucumber gose a couple years ago. It was pretty good, but the beer tasted like pickle juice. For the refreshing cucumber, i'd use it in a clean lager, like maybe a helles or pilsner. Cucumber has a very sleight flavor.

For the Cucumber gose i think i peeled and used 2 cucumbers for a 5 gallon batch, in secondary.

My second cucumber pilsner was an improvement. 9 lbs. GW 'pure Idaho' pilsner malt, so slightly lower gravity and more delicate maltiness than with 10 lbs. Gold Rush pilsner malt. Also, I used Saaz instead of Tetnang, and Imperial Urkel instead of Omega OYL-101 and did not experience as much sulfur nose during active fermentation. It took a few days to clear, but is now sparkling and refreshing -- just in time for our next bout of "hot" weather (in Portland, Oregon, 90°F passes for hot).

Back