Crystal lovibond ratio conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noggins

Reaction score
For some reason I've never been able to find a straight answer to this question so...fingers crossed ;)

Let's say for simplicity that I have a recipe that calls for 1lb of crystal 50. Would 1/2lb of crystal 100 produce the same end result?

I recently had a mishap with some calculations and made some quick adjustments at home and couldn't tell the difference in the end product myself, but am curious if anyone has seen or done any tests in this area? I think I understand the basic difference between lovibond is the roasting time and temperature, and I get that crystal 20 at my homebrew store is different from crystal 20 at your homebrew store, and also different from crystal 20 at my homebrew store at a different time of year, so there's not necessarily an exact science to this, but now I'm just rambling.

:goat:

It doesn't exactly work that way...the higher the lovibond makes different flavors. It's not mathematical besides color contribution.

That's like saying you could cook something at 350 for 20 minutes or 700 for 10 minutes. Whenever you can't get the correct ingredient, get the closest thing. If it calls for 50, 60 or 40 will be close. The closer the numbers the less flavor differences there are

Similar question: I'm developing a recipe that has 4 ounces Crystal 15. Other than just substituting C 20 and getting close, can I just get 2 ounces each of C 10 and C 20?

Back