Crushing malt grains with mallet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russnine

Reaction score
Hi,

i'm new to brewing, had made only 1 batch with beer making kit. i want to know how you may crush grains with a mallet because the grains i got from the kit for my last brew was already crushed. I manage to get some grains from an online shop here and i would like to try brewing again.

if crushing grains with a mallet is possible, how would you do it? will using a rolling pin be better?

thanks

Firstly, welcome to HBT! Neither of those is a very good option unless you're brewing very small batches. Corona mills can be picked up fairly cheaply and will work a lot better than a rolling pin or mallet. They don't crush grains as well as roller mills, but the crush is good enough for non-recirculated mashes, especially BIAB.

Firstly, welcome to HBT! Neither of those is a very good option unless you're brewing very small batches. Corona mills can be picked up fairly cheaply and will work a lot better than a rolling pin or mallet. They don't crush grains as well as roller mills, but the crush is good enough for non-recirculated mashes, especially BIAB.
hi Gnomebrewer,

i cant afford a corona mill for now, and i'm just making an all grain 1 gal batch with 1 kg of malt grain.

as of now, i only have a mallet and a rolling pin. 😝

anyways, thanks for the info.☺

possibly a food processor? but you might have trouble sparging.....because the husks will be shredded.....

I like the car option! Maybe someone will market a steel plate setup for using with the car. In the mean time, I would go with the grain in a bag and a rolling pin, and save the mallet for a last resort.

I think pounding with a hardwood mallet is more effective than using a rolling pin.
Use a sturdy bag to contain the grist while pulverizing it. 1 kg is very doable.
Some have successfully used a blender or food processor, I never tried.

1. For small batches use a large pot to mash in, stick it in a prewarmed, but turned off oven. Make sure the mash itself stays between 146 and 156F.
2. When the mash is done, strain through a sieve (or colander, a grain steeping bag, etc.) into another container or pot.
3. Pour the captured wort over the heap of grain (the heap of grain is your fine sieve) and again until it's clear from small grain bits and powder. Pour into a holding container or another pot.
4. Sparge the grains at least once, (twice is probably better). For that, return them to the pot, add enough water, stir well, then strain as above. Add the clear sparge runnings to the clear wort you from the mash in step 3. Repeat for a 2nd sparge.

5. Start looking for a mill!

Back