Crushing Bottling Priming Tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first bottling day is here. I've purchased priming tablets but have heard they can leave some residue at the bottom, which doesn't bother me but I'm worried it'll bother some people I gift the beers to.

Has anyone tried grinding the tablets, dissolving in warm water, and mixing into the bottling bucket? If not, have you tried grinding the tablets before putting into each bottle individually?

If they leave any residue on the bottom of the bottle, it wouldn't be noticeable with the yeast residue that will be there anyway. As far as dissolving them in water and adding to the bottling bucket, it's very common to just measure out table sugar, dissolve it in boiling water, and boil for another 10 minutes - and much cheaper than priming tablets. And the need for boiling is debated - you decide.

And welcome to the forum.

You are going to have sediment on the bottom of your naturally carbonated beers regardless of what you use. Unless the type of yeast you used to ferment your beer doesn't flocculate to the bottom and just keeps your beer cloudy.

I prime my beer before putting it in bottles. I too use table sugar or some other inexpensive sugar or syrup and will not buy the expensive carb' drops.

Since you already have the drops, just put them in the bottles as they are intended to be used. Then you'll simplify your first bottling day.

Last edited:
Thanks all - went with dissolving the tablets in water and mixing into the bottling bucket. Mixed it thoroughly (without oxygenating), filled 24 bottles, mixed again to ensure it was still well mixed, and filled the last ~24.

Back