Critique My Robust Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Trying to do something a little different for Tampa Bay Beer Week's "Halfway There" event in just a hair over two weeks. Not a fan of wheats, but I'm thinking I can bang out a quick porter to bring a keg to this event. I haven't done a porter yet but I have a bunch of MO and williamette. So here's what I came up with:

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.016
IBU: 32
SRM: 37
ABV: 6.0%
Efficiency: 85%
Boil Time: 75min

Grist:

10# Maris Otter 73.4%
1# Brown Malt 7.3%
12oz Carapils 5.5%
12oz Chocolate 5.5%
10oz English Med. Crystal 55L 4.6%
8oz Black Patent 3.7%

Hops:
1.5oz Willamette 7% 60min 32 IBU

Additions:
Whirlfloc 15min
Yeast Nutrient 15min
Gelatin (Keg)

Medium Body Single Infusion with Mashout

Yeast: 1968 London ESB

Ferment Schedule:
1 week primary
4 days cold secondary
3 days keg 25 PSI

So, yeah, it's a quick one. Looking mostly for corrections to my grain bill to get a better mouthfeel and flavor. Thanks!

I think the grain bill is solid. However, if you plan on serving this in two weeks, its going to be harsh with the roasted grains. They typically need time to mellow. This could come out pretty acrid after only two weeks.

**EDIT**
If you are going to attempt this, one possiblity would be to cold steep the roasted grains. I haven't tried this, but others have commented on the smoother roasted character in doing so. Not sure if this would help turn a porter around in two weeks, just a thought.

Brewed this up last Sunday and tasted the first sample today.

WOW.

DELICIOUS!!!

I modified the grain bill slightly and upped the English Medium Crystal 55L to 12oz because I really liked the flavor. The flavor profile is spot on, a touch roasty up front and then dives into a smooth chocolatey sweetness. Very good for a young porter.

It finished at 1.018 from 1.060 for a touch over 5.3% ABV.

That FG seems a bit high to me, but if you like it, that is all that matters. If it is a little too sweet for you, you could drop the mash temp by a few degrees the next time around. All the crystal and chocolate malt will leave you with plenty of residual sugar even if you mash 2 or 3 degrees lower.

I'm glad it has turned out so well for you so far. A little carbonation can really bring out the flavors of the chocolate malt, so it should only get better from here.

All carbed up now, just in time for the event. This beer is delicious!!! Dangerously drinkable, a little sweet, but the brown malt and chocolate malt add a hint of roastiness that allows for a dry finish. Malty and full bodied, this is one of the best dark beers I've made yet!!

Brewed a ten gallon batch of this beer last night. Going to split it and do one batch normally and age the second batch on something like two vanilla beans, a pint of rum, a cinnamon stick, and a touch of nutmeg.

Did you make any other adjustments in the recipe?

I've definitely thought of adding vanilla beans to my porter, and the rum kind of makes sense. But I don't understand the cinnamon and nutmeg additions. I'll definitely be interested to know how that turns out.

No other changes were made. Just scaled up based on percentages, gravity, and efficiency.

As far as the cinnamon and nutmeg, I was thinking that they would add a "Christmas-esque" sort of flavor to it. Just an experiment...

Ah, right. A holiday beer. Cool. I guess I've mostly thought of Belgian based beers for doing that. But I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work. However, I may need a sample bottle in order to check your work. :D

The second batch is carbonating right now, at least the normal half. I have the additions getting happy in rum right now. Not just any rum - I'm using Zaya, a 12yr bourbon barrel aged blended rum. I've already tasted it and the beer together and they are AWESOME.

I'm soaking half of an oak spiral (medium heavy toast), two vanilla beans, a cinnamon stick, and half of a small nutmeg "seed" (ground) in a pint jar full of the Zaya now. I'm going to give it about 2-3 more days before adding it to a secondary fermenter. Will report back when I can! Cheers!

Back