Critique my Pranqster clone(ish) recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
8 gallon batch

8 lbs Pale malt 2 row
7 lbs Pilsner Belgium
2 lbs White Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Munich Malt 10L
0.5 lbs Flaked Wheat
1.5 lbs Cane Sugar

2 oz Liberty (4.3%) 60 min
0.8 oz Tettnang (3.9%) 20 min

4 gallons to ferment with WLP500 Trappist Ale
4 gallons to ferment with yeast cultured from Pranqster bottle.

Thinking it would be fun to compare yeasts.

This looks really close to the original. The use of Belgian pils isn't accurate to the original, but I think it would be better that way. I suspect the commercial version doesn't use it mainly due to cost.

Only thing I would note is that the two different yeasts you are experimenting with (actually 3, since PranQster uses 2 strains) is that they are designed to go at different temperatures. The WLP500 (Chimay strain) is stepped up into the high 70's or even low 80's during primary to get its distinctive flavors; PranQster is brought only up to 72*F. Not sure how you want to handle that, but if you want each yeast to shine they should have separate temperatures.

Also a cold condition period, as with any Belgian, is highly recommended.

OP, did you ever go through with this experiment? How did it come out? I'm growing some Pranqster yeast right now and looking for a recipe.

I still have quite a bit of this in bottle.

The yeast flavor is spot on.

If I was to do it again I would lighten it up a little. Perhaps 12 oz of Munich instead of 24. I would also cut the wheat malt in half. Increase the base malt to make up for it.

Keep in mind that this was an 8 gallon batch.

Even though this has already been brewed, I did get a little help from the brewer when attempting to clone this -

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your kind words of support. OG - 71, TG - 10. We use a mixed
culture of yeasts to make PranQster dry and fruity. Glad you're enjoying
it.

All the best,

Mark

Mark E. Ruedrich
President and Brewmaster

Though it's not really much, I figure this thread can be looked at for future info when people attempt to clone this beer.

Did you blend the split or did you find one 4 gal more true than the other?

I did not blend the split.

The 4 gallons with the WLP500 was a bit dryer. I actually liked the WLP500 better that the Pranqster yeast.

This looks really close to the original. The use of Belgian pils isn't accurate to the original, but I think it would be better that way. I suspect the commercial version doesn't use it mainly due to cost.

Only thing I would note is that the two different yeasts you are experimenting with (actually 3, since PranQster uses 2 strains) is that they are designed to go at different temperatures. The WLP500 (Chimay strain) is stepped up into the high 70's or even low 80's during primary to get its distinctive flavors; PranQster is brought only up to 72*F. Not sure how you want to handle that, but if you want each yeast to shine they should have separate temperatures.

Also a cold condition period, as with any Belgian, is highly recommended.
Do you have the original recipe

Back