Critique my first extract recipe ever! Summer Road Trip West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trisaiah

Reaction score
Dudes and dudettes, I've mostly been a recipe-follower kind of extract brewer. I'm working on my first recipe to take on a late-summer road trip, and which hopefully I can refine into my "House IPA."

I'm going for something light and smooth and drinkable but still distinctly an IPA. I put "West Coast" in the title only in the sense that I want the hop texture to be primarily aromatic, with only enough malt to anchor fruity and floral hop flavor. My favorite hop flavors are grapefruit, citrus, maybe a bit of pine and flower. Finish should be dry and refreshing, with an ABV around 6%.

[Recipe for 6 Gal in the Fermenter]
Steeping Grains:
8 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Crystal 10L

Extract Boil:
4.5 pounds pale LME
5 pounds pale LME (late addition: 15 min)
12 oz honey (late addition: 0 min)

Hops:
1 oz Centennial, 60 min
1 oz Simcoe, 10 min
1 oz Mosaic, 5 min
1 oz Amarillo, Flameout (let steep for 10 min)
1 oz Mosaic, Flameout (let steep for 10 min)
1 oz Amarillo, Dry Hop (10 days)
1 oz Centennial, Dry Hop (10 days)
1 oz Simcoe, Dry Hop (10 days)

Beersmith says:
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.012
IBUs: 50
Color: 9.2 SRM
ABV: 6%

Let's hear your best/worst criticisms!

Thanks, I definitely will! Incidentally, the idea to use Honey Malt and Crystal 10L comes from the Flower Power Double IPA clone that is floating around the forums. I've never had the commercial version it but it reads like it has the flavor profile I'm going for.

Last chance before brew day. Anyone's thoughts? I was also thinking about adding a bit of gypsum to my water to get the right water profile but maybe I should stick to the basics...

Back